Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Thomas Singer <su...@smartcvs.com> on 2005/03/01 10:00:16 UTC

"trunk", "tags" and nested tags

Hi,

When I understand it right, the default repository structure is like

repository
+ project1
| + tags
| | + tag1
| |   + project-data
| | + tagN
| |   + project-data
| + trunk
|   + project-data
+ project2

This shows a flat tag (branch) structure. But what is the "official" way
to store nested tags, e.g., tags within branches?

--
Best regards
Thomas Singer

Re: "trunk", "tags" and nested tags

Posted by Steve Greenland <st...@lsli.com>.
On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:00:16AM +0100, Thomas Singer wrote:
> When I understand it right, the default repository structure is like
>
> repository
> + project1
> | + tags
> | | + tag1
> | |   + project-data
> | | + tagN
> | |   + project-data
> | + trunk
> |   + project-data
> + project2
>
> This shows a flat tag (branch) structure. But what is the "official" way
> to store nested tags, e.g., tags within branches?

There is no "default repository structure" or "official" way. There's
no reason from a pure SVN point of view that each branch can't have a
"tags" subdir. Some add-on tools or hook-scripts might make assumptions
about repo layouts, of course.

I personally don't differentiate tags from branches vs. tags from trunk,
except possibly by name. I find the convenience of being able to find
all the tags in one place outweighs other considerations. YMMV.

Steve
--
"Outlook not so good." That magic 8-ball knows everything! I'll ask
about Exchange Server next.

RE: "trunk", "tags" and nested tags

Posted by Dale Worley <dw...@pingtel.com>.
> From: Thomas Singer [mailto:subversion@smartcvs.com]

> This shows a flat tag (branch) structure. But what is the
> "official" way
> to store nested tags, e.g., tags within branches?

Of course, you can do it a thousand ways.  But the standard way is that tags
copied from branches are stored in /projectN/tags like any other tag.
However, it might be more mnemonic if the name of the tag started with the
name of the branch.  E.g., "svn cp /projectN/branches/branchI
/projectN/tags/branchI-tag1".

Dale