Posted to history@apache.org by Thomas Eibner <th...@stderr.net> on 2002/06/12 06:12:32 UTC

missing decission on the Apache name

Rich (and everyone else)

Might this be the missing discussion we were trying to find?

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 05:13:28 -0800
From: Cliff Skolnick <cl...@steam.com>
To: new-httpd@hyperreal.com
Subject: name

We need to pick a name for this project.  I don't remember
getting a consensus about apache, but perhaps I missed something.
Ideas? Thoughts? Rants?

Cliff

--
  Thomas Eibner <http://thomas.eibner.dk/> DnsZone <http://dnszone.org/>
  mod_pointer <http://stderr.net/mod_pointer> <http://photos.eibner.dk/>

Re: missing decission on the Apache name

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Thomas Eibner wrote:

> Rich (and everyone else)
>
> Might this be the missing discussion we were trying to find?

> Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 05:13:28 -0800
> From: Cliff Skolnick <cl...@steam.com>
> To: new-httpd@hyperreal.com
> Subject: name
>

> We need to pick a name for this project.  I don't remember
> getting a consensus about apache, but perhaps I missed something.
> Ideas? Thoughts? Rants?
>
> Cliff

To me, this indicates that there was a prior discussion, which is
therefore missing from the archive. In this mythical discussion, clearly
*someone* proposed the name Apache. So, yes, this is *referring* to them
missing discussion.

Remember that in these days, none of these folks had met one another,
spoken on the phone, or otherwise communicated in any fashion other than
email and usenet. Hmm. I guess I had not thought about usenet. We should
search the google usenet archives. While the discussion *may* not be
archived, the name Apache was certainly suggested by someone in an email
format at some point. I'd like to know who and when, and, more
importantly, why, to see once and for all if it really was simply "a
patchy server" or if the respect due to the Apache people was in fact
there from the beginning.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
ReefKnot - http://www.reefknot.org