Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> on 2010/04/15 01:12:48 UTC

Help needed testing text rendering

Hi all,

If you have a moment, I could use some assistance in testing text rendering on various system configurations. Please visit this URL and see how it looks on your system:

http://ixnay.biz/text/text-test.html

I am particularly interested in the results on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Linux systems, since I already know how it looks on a Mac.  :-)  Note that you may need to resize the browser window - for some reason, the text looks smudgy when I first load it, but once it is repainted it draws correctly (FYI, this isn't a Pivot app - it's a just basic AWT applet that simply draws text using Java2D).

I would like to know if you think the text looks "right" on your system. I would also like to know what you see in the system console when you run this demo. For example, on my Mac, I see the following:

KEY_TEXT_ANTIALIASING: Antialiased text mode
KEY_FRACTIONALMETRICS: Default fractional text metrics mode

Please include your OS and Java version (e.g. Mac OS X 10.6.3/Java Plug-in 1.6.0_17). If you are using Windows, please also specify your font smoothing setting (e.g. "Standard" or "ClearType"). Ideally, I would also like to see a screen shot, which you can attach to this issue:

JIRA appears to be down at the moment but hopefully it will be back up soon.

Thanks for your help,
Greg

Re: Help needed testing text rendering

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Greg,
on Windows 7 at 64 bit (the same system of my previous tests, so
ClearType with default settings, etc) I see this in the console (using
Java Plug-in 1.6.0_19 at 32 bit):

KEY_TEXT_ANTIALIASING: LCD HRGB antialiasing text mode
KEY_FRACTIONALMETRICS: Default fractional text metrics mode
KEY_TEXT_ANTIALIASING: LCD HRGB antialiasing text mode
KEY_FRACTIONALMETRICS: Default fractional text metrics mode

And in attach you can find a screenshot, inside the zip.
Note: I have the same results also using IE 64 bit version (and the 64
bit version of the JRE 6 Update 19).
I think in both cases text is (visually) good.

Tell me if I can give you some other info.

Tomorrow I'll try on Windows XP.

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Help needed testing text rendering

Re: Text rendering fix - PLEASE READ

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Greg,

> I recently checked in a fix for PIVOT-393, which should improve text
> rendering and make it look more like native text. You can see an example
> here:
>
> http://ixnay.biz/PIVOT-393/kitchen-sink.html

Windows XP SP3 32bit, JRE 6 Update 19, LCD 1280x1024 at 32 bit, with
ClearType off (standard), and on (cleartype).

The output is best than before (text is more clear than previous tests).
I'll re-test this new version as soon as possible again on Windows 7.

You can find the new screenshots and some comment here:

Bye,
Sandro