Posted to pluto-user@portals.apache.org by David Carew <dc...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/19 17:32:20 UTC

Developing simple Pluto based portal - need some pointers

Hello,

I'm new to Pluto and I'm charged with developing a simple portal based on
Pluto 1.0.x.

1) For the Look and Feel I need to have tabbed pages and to be able to
customize things like the header graphic of each portal page, fonts, colors
etc. Basically the same overall layout with different colors graphics, fonts
etc.

Is there a systematic way to do this or do I have to come up with my own
scheme ? I am hoping to contain most of the customization  in a set of
stylesheets along with some kind of changeable template.

2) My2nd major requirement is security. I want to be able to show users
pages based on their roles. I'll have n pages with a fixed set of portlets.
I'll have m roles, each of which will be authorized for a subset of the n
pages. Basically page level security instead of individual portlet security.
When a user logs in they'll be only able to see the tabbed portlet pages
that they are authorized to see. Again I'm hoping for a "standard" way of
doing this rather than having to roll my own solution.

Any hints, tips and/or pointers to additional info are welcome. Thanks

Re: Developing simple Pluto based portal - need some pointers

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.
Hi David,

I hope others comment but here's my .02

David Carew wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to Pluto and I'm charged with developing a simple portal based on
> Pluto 1.0.x.

Depending on what you mean by "charged" I'd recommend using Pluto 1.1
instead of 1.0.  Pluto 1.0 hasn't been under active development for some
time, and the Pluto 1.1.x series is quite stable, and is much simpler to
work with.

> 1) For the Look and Feel I need to have tabbed pages and to be able to
> customize things like the header graphic of each portal page, fonts, colors
> etc. Basically the same overall layout with different colors graphics, fonts
> etc.
>
> Is there a systematic way to do this or do I have to come up with my own
> scheme ? I am hoping to contain most of the customization  in a set of
> stylesheets along with some kind of changeable template.

I think that these requirements may be better served by Jetspeed.  You
should take a look at what they have to offer.  I'm sure that most, if
not all your requirements (including security) can be met by Jetspeed.
IIRC, Jetspeed is based on Pluto 1.0.x, but I believe they are activly
working on upgrading to Pluto 1.1.x (that work may already be completed!)

Pluto does come with a simple portal, but it is really meant only as a
simple demonstration.  Often developers use it to test their portlets
before deploying to their production portal.

Best,
Elliot

Posted by Stefan Magnus Landrø <st...@gmail.com>.
check out this for some pointers: