Posted to dev@superset.apache.org by Evan Rusackas <ev...@preset.io> on 2021/04/28 05:25:37 UTC

[DISCUSS] Proposal: Wiki pages for coding style guidelines and coding best practices

Greetings everyone!

Inspired by conversations in the community, and by a similar process beginning to take shape in Design Guidelines on the wiki (see https://github.com/apache/superset/wiki/Design-Guidelines) I’d like to propose following a similar process to begin organizing and compiling a collection of coding style guidelines and best practices (preferred patterns) on the Wiki.

Sections of coding style guidelines and best practices will be written up as Github Issues, with their wiki-compatible markdown as the content of the issue. They will then be floated here on the dev@ list for lazy consensus. Discussion/questions can be handled here or on the Issue itself as needed. If/when lazy consensus is reached (i.e. there is no objection/contention) then the markdown will be moved to the appropriate page(s) on the wiki.

This content will be partly a result of previously voted-in SIPs, and partly some sensible/modern patterns and practices that already exist within the codebase. Pointing out these patterns and anti-patterns will likely help new developers figure out which approach to take when building something new.

To get ahead of the question, it would also be possible to do this in a markdown page (e.g. CONTRIBUTING.md), but the Wiki is more of a “living document” and doesn’t require the process of reviewing/merging PRs. All committers/PMC members have access to touch up these pages as needed to make sure they stay up to date and well-organized. Having these on the wiki also means we can quickly iterate on and adapt this process as needed. Since it doesn’t touch the codebase directly,  I figure probably doesn’t warrant a SIP.

So… I seek lazy consensus on this idea. If it goes through, then I’ll start floating some easy/lightweight proposals to further establish this process.

Thank you for your time and attention,

-e-

Evan Rusackas
( he | him )
Frontend Lead
Preset | preset.io

Re: [DISCUSS] Proposal: Wiki pages for coding style guidelines and coding best practices

Posted by Beto Dealmeida <ro...@dealmeida.net.INVALID>.
Love the idea, and I volunteer to write the SIP-40/41 guidelines, since
I already have something written internally at Preset.

--Beto

Posted by Srinivasa Kadamati <sr...@preset.io>.
Evan,

This is a great idea! I wonder, more generally speaking, if we could move
CONTRIBUTING.MD into the wiki on Github and turn it into a one-stop shop
for getting started on the contribution process? It would be great to make
the contribution on-ramp easier, and having a clean wiki we can organize &
edit quickly without the PR process would go a long way in that direction.