Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Ashish Kulkarni <as...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/30 23:09:40 UTC

Find log file name and appender in Java Program

HiI need to find out the log file name, and path in Java program,
I tried
logger.getAppender("A1").getName()

and also

Enumeration enu = Logger.getRootLogger().getAllAppenders();

I need to retrieve /app/logs/mylog/log4jXml.xml in my java program

But is it not returning the appender,

my log4j.xml file is as below

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/">
<appender name="A1"
class="org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender">

<param name="File" value="/app/logs/mylog/log4jXml.xml" />
<param name="DatePattern" value="'.'yyyy-MM-dd" />

<layout class="org.apache.log4j.xml.XMLLayout">

</layout>
</appender>

<category name="myclass">
<priority value="debug" />

<appender-ref ref="A1" />
</category>

<root>
<priority value="INFO" />

<appender-ref ref="STDOUT" />
</root>

</log4j:configuration>

Re: Find log file name and appender in Java Program

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
Once you have a generic Appender object, which could be any one of a
number of appender types, many of which do not have file names, you
should test whether it is an instance of FileAppender and then call
the getFile() method.

if (logger.getAppender("A1") instanceof FileAppender) {
     String file = ((FileAppender) logger.getAppender("A1")).getFile();
}

On Jan 30, 2009, at 4:09 PM, Ashish Kulkarni wrote:

> HiI need to find out the log file name, and path in Java program,
> I tried
> logger.getAppender("A1").getName()

I would think would return "A1" since that is the name of the appender.