Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2010/05/11 19:48:23 UTC

jconsole instructions

Every time I use jconsole I have to spend a long time trying to figure out how to connect to geronimo.  Not sure if its in the wiki but maybe if its on the dev list I'll be able to find instructions again.

1. To get the mbeans in reasonably jsr-77 compliant order start jconsole something like this:

 jconsole -J-Dcom.sun.tools.jconsole.mbeans.keyPropertyList=type,j2eeType,J2EEServer,J2EEApplication,EJBModule,ResourceAdapterModule,WebModule,name

This is an incomplete list.  I think its reasonable for everything except jca stuff which have a lot of useless name components.  Probably we should fix the abstractName to ObjectName conversion so the property names list comes out more like this, assuming it doesn't contradict jsr77.

2. To connect on localhost use this url:

service:jmx:rmi://localhost/jndi/rmi://localhost:1099/JMXConnector

and log in with the same password as for deployment, by default system/manager

Hope this helps me in the future :-D

david jencks

Re: jconsole instructions

Posted by chi runhua <ch...@gmail.com>.
FYI.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxDOC22/Configuring+secure+JMX+server

Jeff

Re: jconsole instructions

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.

Re: jconsole instructions

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On May 11, 2010, at 5:49 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On May 11, 2010, at 2:40 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>

>> On May 11, 2010, at 1:48 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>>
>>> Every time I use jconsole I have to spend a long time trying to figure out how to connect to geronimo.  Not sure if its in the wiki but maybe if its on the dev list I'll be able to find instructions again.
>>>
>>> 1. To get the mbeans in reasonably jsr-77 compliant order start jconsole something like this:
>>>
>>>  jconsole -J-Dcom.sun.tools.jconsole.mbeans.keyPropertyList=type,j2eeType,J2EEServer,J2EEApplication,EJBModule,ResourceAdapterModule,WebModule,name
>>
>> Thanks. I'd always run just plain 'jconsole'. Can't say that I'd suffered greatly, but controlling the mbean tree jconsole builds is probably a good idea...
>>

>>> This is an incomplete list.  I think its reasonable for everything except jca stuff which have a lot of useless name components.  Probably we should fix the abstractName to ObjectName conversion so the property names list comes out more like this, assuming it doesn't contradict jsr77.
>>>
>>> 2. To connect on localhost use this url:
>>>
>>> service:jmx:rmi://localhost/jndi/rmi://localhost:1099/JMXConnector
>>>
>>> and log in with the same password as for deployment, by default system/manager
>>
>> Using Java 6 on Mac OS, I just choose the 'server.jar' local process. Saves me from looking for the URL (which I used to do when running on Java 5). I haven't run jconsole on trunk...
>
> That didn't appear to work for me against trunk (I might have done something wrong).  I sort of thought that having installed a JMXConnector with security might disable this direct connection.... but those experiments were a long time ago.

Seems to work fine. Local process is "org.apache.geronimo.cli.daemon.DaemonCLI"

--kevan

Re: jconsole instructions

Posted by chi runhua <ch...@gmail.com>.
I'll incorporate the instruction into G doc.  Will update the thread when
it's done.

And about the suggestion from Kevan that we might need a script in /bin, I
filed a JIRA for it.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-5297

Thanks~!

Jeff

Re: jconsole instructions

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: jconsole instructions

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: jconsole instructions

Posted by Bill Stoddard <wg...@gmail.com>.
On 5/11/10 1:48 PM, David Jencks wrote:
> Every time I use jconsole I have to spend a long time trying to figure
> out how to connect to geronimo.  Not sure if its in the wiki but maybe
> if its on the dev list I'll be able to find instructions again.
Google's your friend :-)

This often works for me:
- go to the WebSphere Community Edition doc page:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/wasce/Front_en.html0
- Select the version of CE (roughly equivalent to the G version) you're
interested in.
- type jconsole in the google search box

The guys that develop the CE doc also develop a lot of the Geronimo doc;
good deal of cross pollination happens.

Bill