Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org> on 2012/12/04 20:07:31 UTC

Creating a collection without bootstrap

I seem to be missing a step or some kind of ordering in creating a new collection without using bootstrap upload. I have these steps:

* zookeeper upconfig (pretty sure this is first)
* Collection API create collection
* zookeeper linkconfig

I'm working from this page: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud

A step-by-step recipe would be really nice.

wunder
--
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

Re: Creating a collection without bootstrap

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yup, it should say config set, not collections.

A config set is all the config files for a single collection -
schema.xml, solrconfig.xml and related config files. You can name the
set of them so that multiple collections can use the same 'config
set'.

If you don't use a bootstrap option, upconfig is first - that gets the
conf files into zookeeper. As part of that, you give the name of the
'conf set' you are uploading.

If you could help make any of this clearer on the wiki, please do!

So, if you are not predefining your collection in solr.xml on each
node (like collection1 is by default):

Upload the conf files with upconfig, then create your collection with
the collection api, then link it to the conf set. Or you can link by
specifying the config set to use as part of the collection api call.

Linking can actually be done at any time with zkcli - even before you
create the collection - if you link ahead of time, once you create the
collection (using the same name you linked with), it will find the
link and use it.

You can also auto link by naming the conf set the same name as the collection.

- Mark

--
- Mark

Re: Creating a collection without bootstrap

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.