Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2022/11/14 14:30:05 UTC

Re: Linux installer fixes / signing? .. WAS [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 14 Linux installer

On Sat, 6 Aug 2022 at 10:02, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > Incidentally, the DEB without JDK could be distributable via ASF, but
> > > maybe we'd get complaints about the lack of RPM, etc.?! :-)
> >
> > there used to be a tool called alien which could convert between several
> > package formats. But I can't even find it in the arch repo right now.
>
> I know alien, although got to be 15+ years since I used if for
> anything.  It's still in Ubuntu repos.
>
> For the community deb this would be better done by adapting the
> NBPackage deb task though - ...

Just to follow up on this conversation, we now have a PR for NBPackage
from Javier Llorente to do just this.
https://github.com/apache/netbeans-tools/pull/54

Couple of minor things to address, but that should enable a DEB and
RPM without JDK, and therefore distributable by ASF, if we want?

I've also been looking at some changes and tidying up of the NBPackage
project so we could have a release vote on it - something I'd like to
do either way at some point, but particularly before suggesting we use
it for a binary release of NetBeans here.
https://github.com/apache/netbeans-tools/pull/56

Any thoughts on this?

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Linux installer fixes / signing? .. WAS [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 14 Linux installer

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
On 14.11.22 15:30, Neil C Smith wrote:
>>> there used to be a tool called alien which could convert between several
>>> package formats. But I can't even find it in the arch repo right now.
>> I know alien, although got to be 15+ years since I used if for
>> anything.  It's still in Ubuntu repos.
>>
>> For the community deb this would be better done by adapting the
>> NBPackage deb task though - ...
> Just to follow up on this conversation, we now have a PR for NBPackage
> from Javier Llorente to do just this.
> https://github.com/apache/netbeans-tools/pull/54

great contribution!

> Couple of minor things to address, but that should enable a DEB and
> RPM without JDK, and therefore distributable by ASF, if we want?

Sure. Installing SW from those packages is more common than custom
installers on linux - in my experience at least. Since NB doesn't have
one for linux right now, this might be a nice alternative.

This could potentially even help some package maintainers to keep
NetBeans up to date in their repositories.

-mbien