new Apache::ASP user

I couldn't fine a specific mailing list for Apache::ASP so I'm posting
here. I just set mod_perl (1.21) and Apache::ASP up on my hosting server
(linux, apache 1.3.9+1.3.7 SSL patch+mod_frontpage patch)
We're an ISP and i'm wondering what's the best (easiest,securest) way to
set this up for domains we host. Each domain has their own document root
and httpd.conf file. Configuration directives and docroot file/directory
configs would be appreciated.

Thanx,

-Tony
.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-.
Anthony J. Biacco                       Network Administrator/Engineer
admin@intergrafix.net                    Intergrafix Internet Services

    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today"
http://cygnus.ncohafmuta.com                http://www.intergrafix.net
.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-.

Re: new Apache::ASP user

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Admin Mailing Lists wrote:

> Each domain runs with their own httpsd processes.
> Their files are chowned to ftpuser.group
> where ftpuser is a member in group
> and another user, virtualuser, is a member of group.
> and the apache server runs as user virtualuser, group virtualuser
> Example..
> Domain: testweb.com
> Group: test-w
> FTPuser: testuser (member of test-w)
> Virtual user: test-w (member of test-w)
> Apache config:  User test-w
>                 Group test-w
> doc files chowned to testuser.test-w (and ideally chmoded to 640,750)
>
> So can I set state dir to a directory chowned to testuser.test-w with
> permissions of 770? I assume this should be outside the web docroot
> for the domain too?

StateDir is by default 750, and since your ftpuser should
not need access to state files, this should be adequate.
If you do need to modify this behavior, you can change the
permissions in Apache::ASP by just finding the 0750 and
0640 entries ... this has come up a few times recently,
should these be user configuration directives ?

Is there any reason why your FTPuser & www user are different?
This seems to make things harder than they have to be.
You will run into other related problem when the web server
creates files with 0640, but the the ftp user wants write
access to them.

-- Joshua
Joshua Chamas			        Chamas Enterprises Inc.
NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring	Huntington Beach, CA  USA

Re: new Apache::ASP user

Re: new Apache::ASP user

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.