Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by okayndc <bo...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/27 03:10:18 UTC

Lucene index inside of a web app?

Hello,

I want to store the generated Lucene index inside of my Java application,
preferably within a folder where my JSP files are located.  I also want to
be able to search from the index within the web app. I've been using the
LUCENE_INDEX_DIRECTORY but, this is on a file system (currently my hard
drive).  Should I continue to use LUCENE_INDEX_DIRECTORY if I want the
Lucene index inside the app or use something else.  I was a bit confused
about this.  Btw, the Lucene index content comes from a database.

Any help is appreciated

Re: Lucene index inside of a web app?

Posted by KARTHIK SHIVAKUMAR <ns...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Check  http://tomcat.apache.org

80% of the Web containers follow the same stattegy....

web.xml is well explained in this URL.

with regards
karthik

--
*N.S.KARTHIK
R.M.S.COLONY

Re: Lucene index inside of a web app?

Posted by okayndc <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by KARTHIK SHIVAKUMAR <ns...@gmail.com>.
Hi

>> generated Lucene index

What if u need to upgrade this with More docs....

Best approach is Inject the Real path of the Index ( c:/temp/Indexes )  to
the Web server Application via "web.xml"

By this approach u can even achieve

1) Load balancing of multiple Web servers.... pointing to same Index files
2) Update /Delete /Re-index with out the Web application being interrupted

with regards
Karthik

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:25 AM, okayndc <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Awesome.  Thanks guys!
>
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
>
> > You can store the index in WEB_INF directory, just use something:
> > ServletContext.getRealPath("/WEB-INF/data/myIndexName");
> >
> > -----
> > Uwe Schindler
> > H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
> > http://www.thetaphi.de

*N.S.KARTHIK
R.M.S.COLONY
BEHIND BANK OF INDIA
R.M.V 2ND STAGE
BANGALORE
560094*

Re: Lucene index inside of a web app?

Posted by okayndc <bo...@gmail.com>.
Awesome.  Thanks guys!

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.
Using a static string is fine - it just wasn't clear from your
original post what it was.

I usually use a full path read from a properties file so that I can
change it without a recompile, have different settings on
test/live/whatever systems, etc.  Works for me, but isn't the only way
to do it.

If you know where your app lives, you could use a full path pointing
to somewhere within that tree, or you could use a partial path that

Posted by okayndc <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.