Posted to user@avro.apache.org by roger peppe <ro...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/13 14:25:07 UTC

records with without fields?

Hi,

The specification doesn't seem to make it entirely clear whether it's
allowable for a record to contain no fields (a zero-length array for the
fields member). I've found at least one implementation that complains about
a record with an empty fields array, and I'm wondering if this is a bug.

A record containing no fields is actually quite useful as it can act as a
placeholder for a record with any number of extra fields in future
evolutions of a schema.

What do you think?

  cheers,
    rog.