Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Matt Mejaski <mm...@cirilab.com> on 2005/01/11 16:30:46 UTC

Tomcat 5.5.4 - Using a Context.xml File With a Path Different Than The File Name

Hi all,

Using Tomcat 5.0.30, I had two Contexts for webapps set up as follows.

Context 1, loaded from file: <Tomcat Home>/conf/Catalina/localhost/myapp.xml
:
	<Context path="/myapp" docBase="myapp" cookies="true" debug="0"
reloadable="false" />

Context 2, loaded from file: <Tomcat
Home>/conf/Catalina/localhost/myappsavedfiles.xml :
	<Context path="/myapp/savedfiles" docBase="C:\MyApp\Saved" />

Notice that the path of Context 2 is a subdirectory of Context 1.  Also,
notice that the docBase's are completely different directories (i.e. the
docBase for context 2 isn't actually a subdirectory of the docBase of
Context 1)

The reason I do this is because I want the data in context 1 (my web app) to
be upgradeable (and thus be blown away at will), but the data in my Context
2 (which isn't even in the webapps directory) to be persistent.

Now, I want to upgrade to Tomcat 5.5.4.  However, it seems that I can no
longer do this in Tomcat 5.5 (according to the description of the 'path'
attribute described here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html) unless
I do one of the following:

1) Put the Context tag for Context 2 directly in my server.xml, which is no
longer recommended
2) Somehow name my Context 2 file with a slash in it -- which Windows isn't
going to let me do! =)
3) Rename my Context 2 file to be a different path altogether, which means
that I have to change by Context 1 code that refers to files in Context 2.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can keep both of these contexts
without changing my code in Context 1 that refers to the path
/myapp/savedfiles, and hopefully without modifying my Tomcat server.xml?

I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thanks,
Matt Mejaski

Re: Tomcat 5.5.4 - Using a Context.xml File With a Path Different Than The File Name

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
You would need to use the manager either html or command line.

You may have one of those cases that will work with the autodeploy on and
specified context path.

Install 5.5 and try it. You can leave 5.0 in place.

Doug