Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Tamara Cameron <Ta...@nbci.com> on 2000/06/14 03:34:16 UTC

XInclude & Netscape

I am having a problem with Xinclude and Netscape.  It seems that xml
documents that use xinclude and served by Cocoon are not recognized when the
requesting browser is Netscape 4.6.  I am prompted to open or save the
document.

The same pages *are* served properly in IE5, and in Mozilla build 15.

This is cocoon 1.7.4, though I checked out the cvs archive today, built it,
and tested the build with the same results.

I feel that this is some simple issue, but I cannot find it!  The files I
used for testing were those in the /samples/xinclude directory.

Thanks for any help.

-Tamara

Re: XInclude & Netscape

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Tamara Cameron wrote:

> I am having a problem with Xinclude and Netscape.  It seems that xml
> documents that use xinclude and served by Cocoon are not recognized when the
> requesting browser is Netscape 4.6.  I am prompted to open or save the
> document.
>
> The same pages *are* served properly in IE5, and in Mozilla build 15.
>
> This is cocoon 1.7.4, though I checked out the cvs archive today, built it,
> and tested the build with the same results.
>
> I feel that this is some simple issue, but I cannot find it!  The files I
> used for testing were those in the /samples/xinclude directory.

I strongly suspect that the problem is that your Netscape is not
configured to display URLs of the type text/xml, while IE and Mozilla are.
It just so happens that the XInclude examples don't return HTML, they
merely return XML. If you changed the cocoon-format type, you'd be able to
"view" the pages (that is to say - view source, not see anything
meaningful as the pages wouldn't contain valid HTML no matter what the
mime type said).

- donald