Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> on 2011/07/07 17:30:37 UTC

Easy tasks and mentoring

Over in another thread there has been some discussion of "easy tasks"
being identified to help newcomers find their way in the OOo project.

In the ASF the Community Development project works to make ASF
projects a little more accessible. Typically it's very scary for a
newcomer, regardless of their background. The ASF is a big place where
everyone seems to know one another.

Here at OOo we have a very big project with a deep and rich history.
the problem of attracting and engaging newcomers is probably even more
pronounced here.

One of the things we do is encourage projects to tag "easy tasks" in
their issue tracker.We also encourage projects to offer to mentor
people who want to tackle one of these tasks. Now an ASF project
community is should be mentoring newcomers anyway, so explicitly
stating a mentor is available for some tasks may seem strange. but we
have found that just having the words "mentor" associated with a
project task makes it more approachable.

Another benefit of doing this is that when it comes around to Google
Summer of Code time the project already has a bunch of tasks
identified that would be suitable for GSoC applications. The ASF has
been involved with GSoC since it first started., We usually get
between 35 and 50 projects, and most of them are successful. We've
even got a few ASF members who started life as GSoC students, became
committers and are now working across multiple projects.

So, i would encourage people to mark "easy tasks" that they would be
willing to help guide people on with a label of "mentor" (which means
ensuring questions from someone tacking the problem are answered, it
does not mean putting in so much effort you can have done the job
yourself in less time).

Finally, I'll repeat Rob's observations elsewhere. Easy tasks should
not be meaningless tasks. They should be real tasks that will add real
value to the project. Ask yourself, if it's easy and your not going to
do it yourself is it really necessary? There are plenty of tasks that
would be nice to have but not essential, these are good candidates for
mentored tasks.

Finally, I'd like to hear from the OOo education project. Are there
any existing programmes in the Oo.o community that we should work
with?

Ross

Re: Easy tasks and mentoring

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
This all sounds wonderful. The ComDev project here simply pushes
people to the projects themselves. We don't provide specific mentors,
we just try and encourage people to take that first step by giving
some gentle guidance on what the first step should be.

The EducOOo project is much more organised and, as a result, seems to
be more successful. ComDev does well with GSoC but we've pretty much
failed to make it work in a broader sense (only a small number of
people have passed through ComDev). Even with a major EU project
specifically targeted at getting students into open source projects as
part of their formal CS courses we've not seen any significant uptake.
I believe it is because we don't provide things like OOoLight.

Until the code from OOo is here there is little we can do directly
with the project here, I'd be happy to explore this further and try
and bring our experience of running mentored projects through GSoC to
the great work you are doing for OOo.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)

Re: Easy tasks and mentoring

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi Ross,

Re: Easy tasks and mentoring

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 7 July 2011 16:40, eric b <er...@free.fr> wrote:
> Le 7 juil. 11 à 17:30, Ross Gardler a écrit :

>> Finally, I'd like to hear from the OOo education project.
>

> I'm there. just ask  :-)
>

>> Are there any existing programmes in the Oo.o community that we should
>> work with?
>>

> I'm not sure to fully understand. Can you explain more please ?

Sure.

When typing my email about encouraging the project to offer "easy
tasks" with mentors it occurred to me that the education project may
already have some efforts to help new developers become engaged with
the project. If that is the case then I obviously don't want to step

Re: Easy tasks and mentoring

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi,

Le 7 juil. 11 à 17:30, Ross Gardler a écrit :

> Over in another thread there has been some discussion of "easy
> tasks" being identified to help newcomers find their way in the OOo
> project.
>
> In the ASF the Community Development project works to make ASF
> projects a little more accessible. Typically it's very scary for a
> newcomer, regardless of their background. The ASF is a big place
> where everyone seems to know one another.
>
> Here at OOo we have a very big project with a deep and rich
> history. the problem of attracting and engaging newcomers is
> probably even more pronounced here.
>
> One of the things we do is encourage projects to tag "easy tasks"
> in their issue tracker.We also encourage projects to offer to
> mentor people who want to tackle one of these tasks. Now an ASF
> project community is should be mentoring newcomers anyway, so
> explicitly stating a mentor is available for some tasks may seem
> strange. but we have found that just having the words "mentor"
> associated with a project task makes it more approachable.
>
> Another benefit of doing this is that when it comes around to
> Google Summer of Code time the project already has a bunch of tasks
> identified that would be suitable for GSoC applications.
> The ASF has been involved with GSoC since it first started., We
> usually get between 35 and 50 projects, and most of them are
> successful. We've even got a few ASF members who started life as
> GSoC students, became committers and are now working across
> multiple projects.

> So, i would encourage people to mark "easy tasks" that they would
> be willing to help guide people on with a label of "mentor" (which
> means ensuring questions from someone tacking the problem are
> answered, it does not mean putting in so much effort you can have
> done the job yourself in less time).
>

> Finally, I'll repeat Rob's observations elsewhere. Easy tasks
> should not be meaningless tasks.

There is a lot to do, indeed.

> They should be real tasks that will add real value to the project.
> Ask yourself, if it's easy and your not going to do it yourself is
> it really necessary? There are plenty of tasks that would be nice
> to have but not essential, these are good candidates for mentored
> tasks.
>
> Finally, I'd like to hear from the OOo education project.

I'm there. just ask  :-)

> Are there any existing programmes in the Oo.o community that we
> should work with?

I'm not sure to fully understand. Can you explain more please ?

Thanks,
Eric Bachard

--
qɔᴉɹə