Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org> on 2008/10/21 10:40:07 UTC

[Java] Including qpidversion.properties with each module

Hi,

Just noted our build system generates a qpidversion.properties file
for the common module detailing what svn version was used to build the
classes.

As this file is then bundled in the jar is there any reason why this
is not part of the module level build or indeed why this file is not
written to all modules so we could identify the version of the jar in
a production system?

Anybody have any objection to me changing it? Not saying I'll do this
for tomorrow but would be a good thing to have done.

Regards

Martin

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: [Java] Including qpidversion.properties with each module

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
Martin Ritchie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just noted our build system generates a qpidversion.properties file
> for the common module detailing what svn version was used to build the
> classes.
>

> As this file is then bundled in the jar is there any reason why this
> is not part of the module level build or indeed why this file is not
> written to all modules so we could identify the version of the jar in
> a production system?
>
> Anybody have any objection to me changing it? Not saying I'll do this
> for tomorrow but would be a good thing to have done.

I don't have any objections. The one thing I find annoying about the
current svnversion thing as it is currently done is that it launches
svnversion for every build and this forces a rebuild of the common jar,
and consequently that whole process needlessly slows down the build
quite a bit. Obviously the effect would be multiplied if every module
did the same thing, but I'm sure it could be done in a better way.

--Rafael