Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Ian Boston <ia...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/28 10:39:36 UTC

Oak Server Bundle for 1.9 and 1.10

Hi,
This time last year we had a server bundle  that worked against Oak 1.6 and
in November 2017 a bundle that  worked against Oak 1.8. This caused some
difficulties in Sling as there was a reasonable length of time between the
1.6 release and a 1.8 release with a lot of development on Oak 1.7 that was
not tracked in Sling.

I want to propose that there is an Oak Server bundle in Sling to allow a
released version of Oak 1.9 to run in Sling. I think this would allow early
information to fix any problems in Sling that will be generated by the
change from 1.8 to 1.9 to 1.10.

I am only talking about released versions of Oak and not any SNAPSHOT
versions of Oak.

Is there a way of making this work ?

Best Regards
Ian

Re: Oak Server Bundle for 1.9 and 1.10

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Hi,

On 28 February 2018 at 12:51, Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> On Wed, 2018-02-28 at 11:39 +0100, Ian Boston wrote:
> > Hi,
> > This time last year we had a server bundle  that worked against Oak
> > 1.6 and
> > in November 2017 a bundle that  worked against Oak 1.8. This caused
> > some
> > difficulties in Sling as there was a reasonable length of time
> > between the
> > 1.6 release and a 1.8 release with a lot of development on Oak 1.7
> > that was
> > not tracked in Sling.
> >
> > I want to propose that there is an Oak Server bundle in Sling to
> > allow a
> > released version of Oak 1.9 to run in Sling. I think this would allow
> > early
> > information to fix any problems in Sling that will be generated by
> > the
> > change from 1.8 to 1.9 to 1.10.
> >
> > I am only talking about released versions of Oak and not any SNAPSHOT
> > versions of Oak.
> >
> > Is there a way of making this work ?
>
> After we're done adding support for 1.8 to Sling we can have a 1.9
> branch in the oak-server bundle which tracks this. If needed, we could
> branch other bundles as well, e.g. the pax-exam support.

That would be perfect.

> If you're interested in integration tests, we can also branch the
> starter and add extra IT jobs, but the question is who will maintain
> those and ensure they are up-to-date? We are not doing the best job
> with the current setup, adding more on top is not going to make things
> better.

Once 1.10 comes out the 1.9 branch can be dropped since IIUC Oak versioning
follows the Odd == dev, even == stable release numbering scheme.
Changes to support for the 1.8 bundle should be minimal as this is based on
a stable Oak release, so this wont generate more maintenance work. (is that
agreed?)

I would expect that support for 1.9 itself might be relatively stable,
although I would expect that there might be changes elsewhere in Sling if
its impacted by Oak. If Sling is to eventually work with Oak 1.10, then
those changes are going to be required. We can choose to deal with that
early or late. Early seems like better.

I assume it will be possible to keep run 2 builds. Keep Sling development
on Oak 1.8 initially with a CI build based on 1.9, then when 1.9 is
considered stable enough to be used for Sling development switch Sling dev
to 1.9. The aim being to minimise both effort and disruption.

Best Regards
Ian

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Ian,