Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Kris Nuttycombe <Kr...@noaa.gov> on 2004/07/30 18:35:29 UTC

War files & dependency chains

Okay, here's my problem. I've browsed through the mailing list archives
but somehow haven't been able to figure out a solution.

I use a lot of Jakarta and Apache code building web applications. A
number of the packages I depend upon, such as Struts and Torque, have
large lists of dependencies of their own.  Do I have to manually add all
of those dependencies (and so on, and so on) to the dependencies list of
my project.xml file to be able to get them added to my warfile?

I know that this sort of thing is a classic programming problem, but
isn't this the sort of thing that Maven is designed to solve? All of the
dependencies I use have poms available that
specify what packages they themselves depend upon - it doesn't seem like
it should be that great of a leap to somehow include them in the war!

Thanks for your help,

Kris

Kris Nuttycombe
Associate Scientist
Geospatial Data Services Group
CIRES, National Geophysical Data Center/NOAA
(303) 497-6337
Kris.Nuttycombe@noaa.gov

Re: War files & dependency chains

Posted by Kris Nuttycombe <Kr...@noaa.gov>.
Thanks. I'd be happy to test, evaulate and contribute whatever bugfixes
I can to this effort if you'd be so kind as to point me in the right
direction!

Kris

Brett Porter wrote:

>Its called transitive dependencies, and its coming "Real Soon Now"
>(TM). We actually have it working in some pre-alpha code.
>
>Part of the issue is that some projects, such as Struts, don't define
>what their dependencies are , so we have a big job to start populating
>this and are working with other projects to do so.
>
>- Brett
>
>On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:35:29 -0600, Kris Nuttycombe
><kr...@noaa.gov> wrote:
>

>>Okay, here's my problem. I've browsed through the mailing list archives
>>but somehow haven't been able to figure out a solution.
>>
>>I use a lot of Jakarta and Apache code building web applications. A
>>number of the packages I depend upon, such as Struts and Torque, have
>>large lists of dependencies of their own.  Do I have to manually add all
>>of those dependencies (and so on, and so on) to the dependencies list of
>>my project.xml file to be able to get them added to my warfile?
>>
>>I know that this sort of thing is a classic programming problem, but
>>isn't this the sort of thing that Maven is designed to solve? All of the
>>dependencies I use have poms available that
>>specify what packages they themselves depend upon - it doesn't seem like
>>it should be that great of a leap to somehow include them in the war!
>>
>>Thanks for your help,
>>
>>Kris
>>
>>--
>>=====================================================
>>Kris Nuttycombe
>>Associate Scientist
>>Geospatial Data Services Group
>>CIRES, National Geophysical Data Center/NOAA
>>(303) 497-6337
>>Kris.Nuttycombe@noaa.gov

Kris Nuttycombe
Associate Scientist
Geospatial Data Services Group
CIRES, National Geophysical Data Center/NOAA
(303) 497-6337
Kris.Nuttycombe@noaa.gov

Every problem has an elegant solution.
If you cannot conceive of an elegant solution,
you have not yet correctly understood the problem.

Re: War files & dependency chains

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.