Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Martin Schimak <co...@schimak.at> on 2002/09/11 10:08:05 UTC

XSP Indentation and Whitespace

Hi folks!

I am relatively new to cocoon, but so far I am VERY IMPRESSED and I have a strong feeling that I
will spend a considerable amount of forthcoming lifetime using/exploring/developing :-)

However, on my exploring way, I encountered a small, but annoying issue, I could not solve myself so
far... it's concerning whitespace:

<esql:execute-query>
     <esql:query>SELECT template_id, name FROM template ORDER BY name</esql:query>
     <esql:results>
        <esql:row-results>
           <xsp:element name="option">
              <xsp:attribute name="value">
                 <esql:get-string column="template_id"/>
              </xsp:attribute>
              <esql:get-string column="name"/>
           </xsp:element>
        </esql:row-results>
     </esql:results>
</esql:execute-query>

After processing this fragment, I would like to end up with something like

<option value="1">Template1</option>
<option value="2">Template2</option>

but instead I end up with something like

<option value="
1			">		Template1		</option>
<option value="
2			">		Template2		</option>

Of course, if I avoid indentation within the original xsp fragment like

<xsp:element name="option"><xsp:attribute name="value"><esql:get-string
column="template_id"/></xsp:attribute><esql:get-string column="name"/></xsp:element>

then I get what I want. But I get illegible xml quite soon...

Of course, the preservation of the original indentation in some cases could be what the user
actually wanted, therefore my question: Is there a way to tell cocoon/xsp-processing to change
behaviour in this respect?

Not a big problem,
but I found no bigger problem so far :-)

Martin.

Re: XSP Indentation and Whitespace

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Martin Schimak wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> I am relatively new to cocoon, but so far I am VERY IMPRESSED and I
> have a strong feeling that I
> will spend a considerable amount of forthcoming lifetime
> using/exploring/developing :-)
>
> However, on my exploring way, I encountered a small, but annoying
> issue, I could not solve myself so
> far... it's concerning whitespace:
>
> <esql:execute-query>
>     <esql:query>SELECT template_id, name FROM template ORDER BY
> name</esql:query>
>     <esql:results>
>        <esql:row-results>
>           <xsp:element name="option">
>              <xsp:attribute name="value">
>                 <esql:get-string column="template_id"/>
>              </xsp:attribute>
>              <esql:get-string column="name"/>
>           </xsp:element>
>        </esql:row-results>
>     </esql:results>
> </esql:execute-query>
>
> After processing this fragment, I would like to end up with something
> like
>
> <option value="1">Template1</option>
> <option value="2">Template2</option>
>
> but instead I end up with something like
>
> <option value="
> 1            ">        Template1        </option>
> <option value="
> 2            ">        Template2        </option>
>

> Of course, if I avoid indentation within the original xsp fragment like
>
> <xsp:element name="option"><xsp:attribute name="value"><esql:get-string
> column="template_id"/></xsp:attribute><esql:get-string
> column="name"/></xsp:element>

btw, you can use option here:

<option><xsp:attribute name="value"><esql:get-string
column="template_id"/></xsp:attribute><esql:get-string
column="name"/><option>

Vadim

Posted by Martin Schimak <ma...@schimak.at>.
Hi Antonio,
thanks for your answer,
but unfortunately the replacement of <xsl:element name="option"> with "option" changed nothing. When
you avoid the whitespace within the original xml (like you did with the <xsp:attribute/> part) then
you do not get the whitespace in the output, but this leads me to illegible xml after a while.

Thx,
Martin.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo Rivera <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Try this: