Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Greg Lindholm <gr...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/09 17:43:06 UTC

No parameters set in action when file upload exceeds max size

When I try to upload a file that exceeds the configured 2M max then no
parameters get set on my action.

I can't present the user with a pretty error message since all context is
missing without the rest of the parameters.

The file upload is part of a form post that include a bunch of other
parameters my app needs to understand the context of the request.

I've spent all morning in the debugger, the ParametersInterceptor is being
called but the ActionContext.getParameters() is returning null.

It appears that when
org.apache.commons.fileupload.servlet.ServletFileUpload throws
SizeLimitExceededException all parameter parsing is aborted and the multi
part request wrapper thinks there are no parameters.

Is this expected behavior?

Can anyone help?

Greg

Struts 2.3.16.3

2014-05-09 11:28:40,085 WARN
org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.multipart.JakartaMultiPartRequest:64 -
Request exceeded size limit!
org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase$SizeLimitExceededException:
the request was rejected because its size (18652294) exceeds the configured
maximum (2097152)
    at
org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase$FileItemIteratorImpl.<init>(FileUploadBase.java:965)
    at
org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.getItemIterator(FileUploadBase.java:310)
    at
org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.parseRequest(FileUploadBase.java:334)
    at
org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.multipart.JakartaMultiPartRequest.parseRequest(JakartaMultiPartRequest.java:189)
    at
org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.multipart.JakartaMultiPartRequest.processUpload(JakartaMultiPartRequest.java:127)
    at
org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.multipart.JakartaMultiPartRequest.parse(JakartaMultiPartRequest.java:92)
    at
org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.multipart.MultiPartRequestWrapper.<init>(MultiPartRequestWrapper.java:81)
    at
org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.Dispatcher.wrapRequest(Dispatcher.java:803)
    at
org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.ng.PrepareOperations.wrapRequest(PrepareOperations.java:134)
    at
org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.ng.filter.StrutsPrepareFilter.doFilter(StrutsPrepareFilter.java:88)

Re: No parameters set in action when file upload exceeds max size

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WW-3025

Cheers,
Paul

Posted by Christoph Nenning <Ch...@lex-com.net>.
Hi,

as I commented in JIRA: maybe they are related, cannot be sure.

But I like the streaming approach of
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WW-3025

Regards,
Christoph

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
Does this issue [1] is related?

Posted by Christoph Nenning <Ch...@lex-com.net>.
> Betreff: Re: No parameters set in action when file upload exceeds max
size

> Has any encountered this?
> I've tried calling getParameter() on the request to see if I can
manually
> extract the parameters I need but this always returns null.  It seems
that
> the MultiPartRequestWrapper believes it has processed parameters and
there
> are none.
>
> Greg

Yes I encountered that just recently. The max size is checked for the
whole POST body. When the POST body is too big it is completely skipped.

As workaround I added parameters to the form URL instead of submitting
them as hidden form fields (using just <form> instead of <s:form>).
That way only the uploaded file is skipped when too big.

You might want to have a look here:
http://struts.apache.org/development/2.x/docs/file-upload.html#FileUpload-AdvancedConfiguration

Regards,
Christoph

Re: No parameters set in action when file upload exceeds max size

Posted by Greg Lindholm <gr...@gmail.com>.
Has any encountered this?

Posted by Christoph Nenning <Ch...@lex-com.net>.

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WW-3025 ?