Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Robert S. Thau" <rs...@ai.mit.edu> on 1995/07/10 16:52:29 UTC

Things I'd like before first ship...

A few things I really would like to see before first release, if
anyone has a little free time (ha!):

*) A configuration script which allows people to pick and choose
   optional modules.  (This would have to rewrite modules.c, which is
   trivial --- basically, two copies of the list of configured modules
   in slightly different formats.  It would also have to arrange for
   the right set of mod_*.o files to be built by the Makefile; that
   would be somewhat easier if we can count on any reasonable make to
   support the same sort of 'include' directive, but BSDI appears to
   insist on being the odd man out *again*, so it looks like rewriting
   the Makefile is the only way for it to work.  Shell and awk are
   probably the tools of choice --- *old* awk).

*) An optional module which emulated the NCSA 1.4.x UserAgentLog and
   RefererLog.  Yeah, you don't want them, I don't want them, but I
   *do* want people to be able to drop us in in place of NCSA.

*) More cross-platform testing.  Right now, I know of people who have
   run the server and reported bugs on the following platforms:
   SunOS, Linux, HP-UX, NetBSD, BSDI.  I know of someone who's trying
   Solaris, but no reports of how well it works yet.  I'd like to know
   that it's working OK on those systems; also, would it be possible
   for someone to try, say, IRIX?

Oh, well.  On to Real Work.

rst

Re: Things I'd like before first ship...

Posted by "David J. Hughes" <ba...@Bond.edu.au>.

On Mon, 10 Jul 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:

> *) A configuration script which allows people to pick and choose
>    optional modules.  (This would have to rewrite modules.c, which is
>    trivial --- basically, two copies of the list of configured modules
>    in slightly different formats.  It would also have to arrange for
>    the right set of mod_*.o files to be built by the Makefile; that
>    would be somewhat easier if we can count on any reasonable make to
>    support the same sort of 'include' directive, but BSDI appears to
>    insist on being the odd man out *again*, so it looks like rewriting
>    the Makefile is the only way for it to work.  Shell and awk are
>    probably the tools of choice --- *old* awk).

I'll take this one if you like.  As for Makefiles, I ended up putting
together a very simple Makefile generation package for mSQL.  It's a
simple setup that allows inclusiong of system definitions and other
things (without the need for a make that supports includes).  If you want
to have a look, mSQL can be found on Bond.edu.au in /pub/Minerva/msql.
The makefile generation stuff is handled by the stuff in the makegen
directory.

Bambi

Re: Things I'd like before first ship...

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Mon, 10 Jul 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> A few things I really would like to see before first release, if
> anyone has a little free time (ha!):

Don't forget to make the tar file use the same directory structure as 1.3
(subdir apache0.8/, subdirs src/ cgi-src/, cgi-bin/, conf/, etc.)

Randy, did you ever get that imagemap module working?

	Brian

Re: Things I'd like before first ship...

Posted by Matthew Gray <mk...@Netgen.COM>.
> *) An optional module which emulated the NCSA 1.4.x UserAgentLog and
>    RefererLog.  Yeah, you don't want them, I don't want them, but I
>    *do* want people to be able to drop us in in place of NCSA.

Done.  Mostly this involved copying mod_common_log.c and search and
replacing 'common' for either 'agent' or 'referer'. :-)  If I get around
to it maybe I'll do a more generic logger to supplant/emulate all three.
It's in two seperate modules, available at
http://www.netgen.com/~mkgray/apache

> *) More cross-platform testing.  Right now, I know of people who have
>    run the server and reported bugs on the following platforms:
>    SunOS, Linux, HP-UX, NetBSD, BSDI.  I know of someone who's trying
>    Solaris, but no reports of how well it works yet.  I'd like to know
>    that it's working OK on those systems; also, would it be possible
>    for someone to try, say, IRIX?

I am primarily running on Linux, but may try it on Solaris or IRIX if I
get a chance, as well as likely trying OSF/1^H^H^H^H^HDigital Unix.

						...Mkgray