Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by ajg <aj...@cac.washington.edu> on 2006/08/14 19:33:03 UTC

Limits on number of topics?

The wildcards example lists the following topic:

  PRICE.STOCK.NASDAQ.IBM to publish IBM's price on NASDAQ

So I take it there is no problem with creating many thousands of topics with
activeMQ?  What about millions? What is the limiting factor with regard to
number of non-durable topics in activeMQ?

Thanks!
-Aj

Re: Limits on number of topics?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 8/14/06, ajg <aj...@cac.washington.edu> wrote:

> The wildcards example lists the following topic:
>
>   PRICE.STOCK.NASDAQ.IBM to publish IBM's price on NASDAQ
>
> So I take it there is no problem with creating many thousands of topics with
> activeMQ?  What about millions? What is the limiting factor with regard to
> number of non-durable topics in activeMQ?

Topics add a number of Java objects in RAM - so the only real overhead
is RAM of the JVM running the broker. Set a pretty big heap for the
broker and try it out on your platform and see.

--

James
-------