Posted to user@spark.apache.org by algermissen1971 <al...@icloud.com> on 2015/07/12 21:34:44 UTC

Master vs. Slave Nodes Clarification

Hi,

I have a question that I really have problems with figuring out for myself:

Does the master node in a spark cluster need to be a node similar to the slave nodes or should I rather view it as a coordinating node, that does not need much computing or storage power?

For example, when using Spark Streaming and Checkpointing, would the master node need access to the shared file system (e.g. HDFS)? Or do I only need to mount that on the slaves?
(likewise, if I use the Cassandra-Connector, does that (and C*) need to be installed on the master node, too?)

Or, in other words: is the master just one node of similar cluster nodes, or is it merely a 'small control node', for which sort of any small VM would do?

Jan

Re: Master vs. Slave Nodes Clarification

Posted by Tathagata Das <td...@databricks.com>.
Yep :)

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 2:44 PM, algermissen1971 <algermissen1971@icloud.com

Posted by algermissen1971 <al...@icloud.com>.
On 14 Jul 2015, at 23:26, Tathagata Das <td...@databricks.com> wrote:

> Just to be clear, you mean the Spark Standalone cluster manager's "master" and not the applications "driver", right.

Sorry, by now I have understood that I would not necessarily put the driver app on the master node and that not making that distinction made my question kind of hard to answer :-)

So far I have understood that for a spark streaming app that uses the cassandra connector (and also needs checkpointing):

slaves: need Spark, C*, the connector and access to a distributed file system for the checkpointing
master: needs Spark (configured as master) but none of the rest
the node where the driver runs: needs spark,  C*, the connector and access to a distributed file system for the checkpointing

Posted by Tathagata Das <td...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Mohammed Guller <mo...@glassbeam.com>.

Posted by Akhil Das <ak...@sigmoidanalytics.com>.
You are a bit confused about master node, slave node and the driver
machine.

1. Master node can be kept as a smaller machine in your dev environment,
mostly in production you will be using Mesos or Yarn cluster manager.

2. Now, if you are running your driver program (the streaming job) on the
master machine, then it need access to the HDFS or wherever the write is
happening.

3. Master node is more like a control node, yes a smaller machine would do
but when you run the driver program on master machine, it would be good a
have enough memory and cores for your job to have low latency.

Thanks
Best Regards

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 1:04 AM, algermissen1971 <algermissen1971@icloud.com