Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Yakov Reztsov <ya...@mail.ru> on 2012/03/27 20:11:06 UTC

Re[2]: [RELEASE] Dictionary extensions

Hi Andre,

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:38:52 +0400 от Torokhov Sergey:
> On Tuesday 27 of March 2012 11:32:25 Andre Fischer wrote:
> > Hi Yakov,
> >
> > thanks for your input.  I still need to know which Russian dictionary to
> > include.  On
> >
> > http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/dictionaries
> >
> > there are listed 8 different extensions.
> >
> > -Andre
> >
> > On 26.03.2012 19:15, Yakov Reztsov wrote:
> > > Hi Andre,
> > >
> > > I think in a Russian AOO the following languages should be bundled:
> > > Russian (ru_RU)
> > > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/dictionaries/ru_RU
> > > /?pathrev=1209016 English (en_US)
> > > German (de_DE)
>
> Hi Andre,
>
> I observe, and Yakov confirmed it for me early, that proposed set
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/dictionaries/ru_RU/?pathrev=1209016
>
> already includes the following russian spellchecker dictionary:
> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/dict_ru_RU_hyph
>
> as files "ru_RU.dic" and "ru_RU.aff".

In dictionary
 http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/dict_ru_RU_hyph
included  only spellcheck dictionary and hyphenation.
Thesaurus is not included in this version.
In   http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/dictionaries/ru_RU/?pathrev=1209016
is  full extension with spellcheck, hyphenation and thesaurus dictionary.

 --
Yakov Reztsov

Re: [RELEASE] Dictionary extensions

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
On 03/29/12 09:45, Yakov Reztsov wrote:
> Can be it is necessary to add the file th_ru_RU_v2.idx
> to  SVN (http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/dictionaries/ru_RU/?pathrev=1209016)?

That branch doesn't exist anymore on our Apache SVN. I
am of the opinion that we should restore it outside, probably
in apache-extras.org and generate all dictionaries there.

FWIW, The LibreOffice guys have the dictionaries in an
independent GIT repository.

cheers,

Pedro.

Re[2]: [RELEASE] Dictionary extensions

Posted by Yakov Reztsov <ya...@mail.ru>.
Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:08:58 -0700 (PDT) от Pedro Giffuni:

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
> On 3/29/12 11:13 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
>> It is worth noting that a frequent
>> question from users is how to remove unwanted
>> preinstalled dictionaries.  In a future release perhaps a
>> modification of the install process might allow selection of
>> dictionaries at install time.  I suspect, but do not know for
>> certain, that in some cases such users wish to economise on
>> memory, be it storage or RAM, used by the program when installed
>> on older computers.
>>
> this is valuable feedback and we should take care of this in the future. As always and everywhere we have a lot of areas where we can improve things.
>
> That means that we exactly need the feedback from our users (home as well as enterprise users). In the end the tasks they want to achieve are very similar for all. Our focus for the future should be to make
> things as easy as possible for our users.
>
> Juergen

In the same area, it's rather strange that the whole list of languages is available in the drop-down lists that are easily accessible to users (in the Font properties tab for example) whereas only installed dics are listed in Tools>Options>Language and Settings>Writing Aids>Modules.

The long list is either confusing (are all these languages installed?) or not convenient (I've to move along the whole list to find the correct language). It would be more logical to have the opposite:
- short list (only installed dics) in the "common" settings
- long list (with the check mark for installed languages) in the advanced options (Tools>Options>...)

In the forum, very often, users don't make the difference at first between a language with a check mark (installed) and without in the list.

Just my 2 ct, sorry to be OT here. Can make a bug report if needed.

Hagar

Re: [RELEASE] Dictionary extensions

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 3/29/12 11:13 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:23:36 +0200
> Andre Fischer<af...@a-w-f.de>  wrote:
>
>> On 29.03.2012 10:02, Gianluca Turconi wrote:

>>> I've just sent a mail about this topic to the Italian user ML.
>>>
>>> I'll give here any feedback from the users, if any will be
>>> provided.
>>>
>>> Personally, I think they should surely be included:
>>>
>>> Italian
>>> English (US or GB)
>>
>> Please keep in mind that we currently have no en_GB.
>>

>>> However, these dictionaries
>>>
>>> French
>>> German

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: [RELEASE] Dictionary extensions

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.

Posted by Gianluca Turconi <gt...@letturefantastiche.com>.
scritto:

> Please note that at the moment only two languages will have more than
> their "native" dictionary bundled: nl and ru.
> Please speak up if you want more dictionaries for other languages as
> well.

I've just sent a mail about this topic to the Italian user ML.

I'll give here any feedback from the users, if any will be provided.

Personally, I think they should surely be included:

Italian
English (US or GB)

However, these dictionaries

French
German
Spanish (Espana)

may be useful too to many Italian users, in my opinion.

Is there a near deadline for "speaking up"? :-)

Gianluca Turconi
Lettura gratuita o acquisto di libri e racconti di fantascienza,
fantasy, horror, noir, narrativa fantastica e tradizionale:
http://www.letturefantastiche.com/

Re: [RELEASE] Dictionary extensions

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.
On 28.03.2012 00:08, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> --- Mar 27/3/12, Andrea Pescetti<pe...@apache.org>  ha scritto:
>>> I downloaded the source from SVN.
>>> But did not find the file th_ru_RU_v2.idx
>>> Maybe it has to be generated during the build process?
>>> Checked that in the dictionary for the German
>> equivalent file is present (this thesaurus index file).
>>> Generated with the help of his MyThes and assembled a
>> complete test version of the dictionary.
>>
>> Index files could be generated at build time, but
>> OpenOffice.org historically did not do it, preferring to use
>> pre-built files. And now that included dictionaries must be
>> packaged as verbatim extensions, we will surely need to
>> package the index file in the extensions rather than
>> generating it at build time.
>>

> I think I pointed to the right russian dictionary in the
> Wiki and I am adding some few extension that were
> requested in Bugzilla.
>
> Croatian is a special case, they relicensed their dict to
> ALv2 but the one in the extensions site:
>
> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/search/node/croatian
>
> doesn't seem to be updated. We need someone that will
> regenerate it (it does include idx).

I have updated main/extensions.lst accordingly.

Please note that at the moment only two languages will have more than
their "native" dictionary bundled: nl and ru.
Please speak up if you want more dictionaries for other languages as well.

I also updated some language names in the "Language" column on the wiki
page to values that are understood by our build environment (especially
the --with-lang configure switch): removed the country parts, eg fr_FR
became fr.

Updated the download link for Norwegian due to problems with the redirect.

Finally, I added a new switch to configure.  By saying
--disable-bundled-dictionaries you can now, well, disable the bundling
of dictionary extensions.  More importantly it detects whether hunspell
is available.  If not the dictionaries are not bundled because the would
not work anyway.

-Andre

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Yakov Reztsov wrote:
> I decided to check  dictionary from Apache SVN.  ( http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/dictionaries/ru_RU/?pathrev=1209016)
> I downloaded the source from SVN.
> But did not find the file th_ru_RU_v2.idx
> Maybe it has to be generated during the build process?
> Checked that in the dictionary for the German equivalent file is present (this thesaurus index file).
> Generated with the help of his MyThes and assembled a complete test version of the dictionary.

Index files could be generated at build time, but OpenOffice.org
historically did not do it, preferring to use pre-built files. And now
that included dictionaries must be packaged as verbatim extensions, we
will surely need to package the index file in the extensions rather than
generating it at build time.

Regards,
   Andrea.

R: Re[3]: [RELEASE] Dictionary extensions

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hmm...

According to the BZ issue, this extension should be the appropriate one:

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/dictru

So I just added it to the Wiki.

cheers,

Pedro.