Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Chetan Chatwani <ch...@savvion.com> on 2008/05/30 06:15:02 UTC

Best practice for svn repos structure for mutliple release paralllel

Hi All,

We are having going to have 2(8.0 and 7.5) release parallely. Should we
create  :
         -  mutliple repos for each release or
         -  create one repos and in that have branch for short cycle
release(7.5) and trunk for major cycle release(8.0). This trunk will be
carried for future releases also such as 9.0 etc.

Please let me know your suggestion for same. Since we are in process for
creating repos and it will be helpful for same.

Thanks and Regards,
Chetan

Re: Best practice for svn repos structure for mutliple release paralllel

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
Chetan Chatwani wrote:
> Is there any stable utility to migrate data from one svn repos to another svn
> repos with history , like cvs2svn utility ?

svnadmin dump/filter/load, but it would be a one-time, one-way trip
leaving you with a very confusing structure where you can't merge
changes.  Normally what you would do is copy to a tag for the release
snapshot and a branch for subsequent maintenance within the same
repository.  These will not be affected by any other concurrent work in
the repository but you'll have the ability to merge in updates from the
trunk or other branches if you want.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Best practice for svn repos structure for mutliple release paralllel

Posted by Stephane Bortzmeyer <bo...@nic.fr>.
On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 01:59:56AM -0700,
 Chetan Chatwani <ch...@savvion.com> wrote
 a message of 39 lines which said:

> Is there any stable utility to migrate data from one svn repos to
> another svn repos with history , like cvs2svn utility ?

Not simply. The question was discussed here a few weeks ago. See the
thread starting by
<http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2008-05/0135.shtml>

Re: Best practice for svn repos structure for mutliple release paralllel

Posted by Chetan Chatwani <ch...@savvion.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.