Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by tuxbeagle <tx...@tuxbeagle.com> on 2007/09/26 01:14:55 UTC

looking into spamassassin mail proxy solution

I am trying to find a mail proxy/spamassassin solution for 2 situations.
Situation 1 is
  Mail Server --> Mail Proxy --> Internet

Situation 2 is
  Mail Client --> Mail Proxy --> Mail Server

Mail Proxy is on a seperate server.

I think MailScanner will work but after reading through part of the
documentation still am not sure.  Pop3Proxy might work but there doesn't
appear to have been much work on it, in some time.

I could of sworn that I saw a document on how to do this in the not to
distant past, but now I can't seem to locate it.

Re: looking into spamassassin mail proxy solution

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
tuxbeagle wrote:
> Thanks,
> Knowing what to search for helps.
> The first document I started reading has an installation where spam is
> filtered to a specific user 'spammy'.  I hope that there is a way to just
> tag the spam in the header and let the user filter locally.

visit the postfix and amavisd-new sites and start slowly, one step at a
time.

those big bang howtos available won't do you good if you have no idea
what they are for.

when configuring amavisd-new, look in the config file, and make sure
D_PASS is used for spam (not for viruses. you don't want to deliver
viruses, whether tagged or not, because MUAs may execute them anyway).

setting postfix is not difficult, but you need to have some
understanding of how email works (this is true whatever MTA you use).
some level of discipline (call it process if you prefer buzzwords):
change things incrementally, test, commit (a backup is enough, or just
document the changes and things you discover), move to the next step,
... etc. In any case, big bang approaches sometimes work, but not always
as intended...

RE: looking into spamassassin mail proxy solution

Posted by tuxbeagle <tx...@tuxbeagle.com>.
Thanks,

Posted by Gary V <mr...@hotmail.com>.
> Matt Kettler-3 wrote:
>>
>> tuxbeagle wrote:
>>> I am trying to find a mail proxy/spamassassin solution for 2 situations.
>>> Situation 1 is
>>> Mail Server --> Mail Proxy --> Internet
>>>
>>> Situation 2 is
>>> Mail Client --> Mail Proxy --> Mail Server
>>>
>>> Mail Proxy is on a seperate server.
>>>
>>> I think MailScanner will work but after reading through part of the
>>> documentation still am not sure.
>> MailScanner isn't a proxy.
>>
>> However, you could still use it for Situation 1 depending on exactly
>> what "Mail Server" is, and what kind of stuff you are willing to set up.
>>
>>> Pop3Proxy might work but there doesn't
>>> appear to have been much work on it, in some time.
>>>
>> That mgith work for situation 2, but not situation 1.
>>
>> Quite frankly, doing anything of this sort using proxies is asking for
>> trouble.
>>
>> The normal way of integrating SA is to run it directly on your
>> mailserver, or insert another upstream mailserver to run SA on, and
>> forward all mail through that machine.
>>
>> ie:
>>
>> 1) MailServer with SA --> internet
>> 2) Mail Client ---> Mail Server with SA
>>
>> or
>>
>> 1) Mail Server (existing) --> New Mail Server with SA --> internet
>> 2) Mail Client --> Mail Server (existing) --> New Mail Server with SA
>>

> These last two appear to be what I am trying to achieve, but am not sure how
> to set up the "New Mail Server with SA" and put it transparently between the
> "Mail Server" and internet.

There are numerous HOWTOs explaining how to build a gateway (relay) server using Postfix, amavisd-new and SpamAssassin. Google for those three nouns. It is very important to remember that a relay server must be configured to reject mail to invalid users for domains you host.

Gary V

Discover the new Windows Vista

Re: looking into spamassassin mail proxy solution

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
tuxbeagle wrote:

> These last two appear to be what I am trying to achieve, but am not sure how
> to set up the "New Mail Server with SA" and put it transparently between the
> "Mail Server" and internet.

You don't do it "transparently".. you configure forwarding as
appropriate on each server.

Re: looking into spamassassin mail proxy solution

Posted by tuxbeagle <tx...@tuxbeagle.com>.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Bazooka Joe <fa...@gmail.com>.
open source ipcop firewall has a pluging called copfilter that has a
transparent mail proxy that scans all pop and smtp email using sa and
clamav