Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Carlos Maté <cm...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/02 10:31:10 UTC

Re: Applet Servlet communication

Hi,
My applet expects a string as an answer.
In the sitemap I want to call a function than  calculates the string  and
send this string to the applet.
I don't want to serialize any xml document. And if the function is a
flowscript I don't know how to do it.
Thanks.

Hi Carlos,
what does your applet expect as an answer? an XML document, a string
or something
else?

I think the following two pages wil be of help for you:
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/concepts/sitemap.html
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/concepts/sitemap/sitemap-examples.html

Regards,

Jeroen Reijn

Carlos Maté wrote:

Hi.

We hava an applet that needs some data. The applet ask for it using a
URLConnection.
And wait for the answer using

urlConnection.getInputStream();

Cocoon servlet matches this URL in the sitemap but How can I send de answer
?

How do I write the sitemap?
Thanks.

Re: Applet Servlet communication

Posted by Jeroen Reijn <j....@hippo.nl>.

Carlos Maté wrote:

> Hi,
> My applet expects a string as an answer.
> In the sitemap I want to call a function than  calculates the string
> and send this string to the applet.
> I don't want to serialize any xml document. And if the function is a
> flowscript I don't know how to do it.
> Thanks.

Hi Carlos,

returning a string from cocoon is no problem. This is what you could do
in your sitemap.xmap:

1. Create matcher for your request:

<map:match pattern="request-string.html">
   <map:call function="testfunction"/>
</map:match>

2. Create a flowscript function that does just does something with your
request and calls another pipeline that returns your calculated string:

function testfunction()
{
   var something = "test";
   cocoon.sendPage("returnstring.html", {something:something});
}

See: http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/flow/sitemap.html for more
information.

3. Define the matcher that generates your string:

<map:match pattern="returnstring.html">
   <map:generate src="test.xml" type="jx"/>
   <map:serialize type="text" mime-type="text/plain"/>
</map:match>

In this case the test.xml is a jx template that should look something like:

<jx:template xmlns:jx="http://apache.org/cocoon/templates/jx/1.0">
    ${something}
</jx:template>

I hope this helps you out.