Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/05 13:16:22 UTC

Diversity of committership

Gang:

For those of you who aren't subscribed to the general@ list, there's an
active debate going on right now as to whether we have enough diversity of
committership to warrant graduating.  Regardless of how the vote goes,
people are bringing up good points about how we as a project should be
striving to get all of our committers more active in the codebase.  Along
those lines, I did a quick run through JIRA to see if there were any tickets
that might be good candidates to encourage the group at large to tackle.
Here's what I came up with:

Low hanging fruit.  These tickets are currently assigned to Greg, but they
really could be taken on by anybody - is anyone game to tackle one?

   - PIVOT-129: Review thread prioritization
   - PIVOT-173: Add bounds checks on skin styles

More involved.  The additions to Meter would be a great way for someone to
get comfortable writing actual components and skins.  These would be more
involved than the previous category, but it'd be great if someone wanted to
"own" Meter.  I own it right now, but if someone's interested, I'd be happy
to guide them in the implementation of these tickets.

   - PIVOT-26: Add orientation to Meter component
   - PIVOT-33: Add support for Meter#text property in TerraMeterSkin

Already assigned.  These tickets are already assigned to Sandro, Chris, and
Noel.  Any chance anyone has some time to work on them?

   - PIVOT-140: Create Demos for other major JVM Scripting languages
   - PIVOT-43: Add support for digest authentication to web queries
   - PIVOT-180: Add Resources.parent (resource hierarchy)
   - PIVOT-78: implement a font chooser widget
   - PIVOT-77: implement a color chooser widget

Cheers,
-T

Re: Diversity of committership

Posted by Christopher Brind <br...@brindy.org.uk>.
Created PIVOT-205 and assigned to myself.

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Brind <br...@brindy.org.uk>.

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Todd,
I have to start working on this next week, but after i first try I'll
post here a sample patch.

Next week I'll be in Holidays, so I don't know how many time I'll have
to work on Pivot.
At least I'll make things the week after ...

Bye

Re: Diversity of committership

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Ok, tomorrow I'll start with a first example, to review with all ...

Byeeee

Re: Diversity of committership

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
I don't know that there are any examples, but it should be just a matter of
going through each skin, looking at each bean setter method within the skin,
and asking "are there any illegal values that we should be checking for
here?"  Also, I think IllegalArgumentException is more appropriate here than
IllegalStateException.

-T

Posted by Noel Grandin <no...@gmail.com>.
Sandro Martini wrote:

>>>    - PIVOT-173: Add bounds checks on skin styles
>>>
> Maybe i could try with this ... but exactly what is expected to be done here ?

Means going through the various style setters and modifying the code to
throw IllegalStateException if the values are out of legal range.
For example, setting a width to less than zero. Or setting a scalar
enumerated value to something illegal.

Re: Diversity of committership

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

>>    - PIVOT-129: Review thread prioritization
Means the ability to change thread priority (so an implementation of
this has to be done), or to review existing threading and assign some
useful defaults to them ?
Suggestions / tests already done ?

Posted by Noel Grandin <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I've got a baseline patch that I need to re-apply (the code has changed
too much since I wrote it).
Will get on it.

Regards, Noel.