Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Eric Zhang <yu...@ualberta.ca> on 2004/05/29 00:40:40 UTC

Put the /db on a separate server

Hi:
 I am using Xindice 1.1.3. Currently, the xindice installs the /db under
tomcat's webapp dir. However, we are wondering whether we can have two
machines. One is application server, which is running the tomcat, and
the other machine is the database server, which will be running the
xindice and holds all the data. We want to write jsp/servlet on the
application server, to retrieve data from the xindice on the database
server. How should I configure.

  Thanks.

--
Yue(Eric) Zhang
Database Analyst/DBA, TAPoR Project

Re: Put the /db on a separate server

Posted by Neil Cook <nc...@acm.org>.
Run a servlet container on both machines. Configure the front-end
machine as your application server and the back-end machine with Xindice
as your back-end server.

Xindice has documentation on how to install it under a servlet
container. The most important point, I believe, is to change server.xml
to place the database somewhere other than under the Xindice servlet, so
that a re-installation will not destroy your database.
(/xindice/root-collection/@dbroot).

/Neil