Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Alexey Kharlamov <ah...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/11 19:29:19 UTC

Contribution of non-blocking socket appender

Hello!

I have wrote a non-blocking socket appender for log4j. It is useful for
RT applications where long-time application lock is not acceptable.

The appender just wraps SocketAppender. All log events a put into a
bounded queue. A background thread takes the event from queue and passes
them to SocketAppender. If the queue is overflowed, the appender puts a
warning event into queue and ignores all subsequent event until the
queue will be able to accept data again.

How can I contribute my work into mainstream? What branch should I use
as a base to provide a patch?

WBR, Alexey Kharlamov

Re: Contribution of non-blocking socket appender

Posted by Alexey Kharlamov <ah...@gmail.com>.
Mark Womack wrote:
> We appreciate the effort and contribution!
Thank you for help. I will provide my code ASAP.

Posted by Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org>.
1) You need to file a signed CLA with the ASF.  See this link under
"Contributor License Agreements" for details:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/

2) Submit code via a bug report.  All source files must have the
proper ASF license header.  You can find an example of this in the
current code.

3) I would make a patch on the svn head/trunk.  It is unlikely that
this change will be included in a 1.2 version since we are not focused
on releasing anything on that branch unless required and only critical
fixes at this point.

4) The committers will review the code and decide to include it in the
main code release, an optional release, or maybe the sandbox.  You can
also release the code to the log4j-user email list for others to
use/comment, etc.

We appreciate the effort and contribution!

-Mark

Posted by Alexey Kharlamov <ah...@gmail.com>.
Curt Arnold wrote:

> Any thoughts on addressing the problem by modifying AsyncAppender to
> have discard when full option?

Hm, it looks like such option can work for me. I will investigate the
problem more accurately and provide a patch in a week.

Re: Contribution of non-blocking socket appender

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.