Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Roger Keays <r....@ninthave.net> on 2004/07/01 02:07:17 UTC

updating in moved directory

Hi all,

I'm having difficulty understanding how I can bring a directory up to date in a
working version when the repository version of the directory has been moved.

What I have done is moved the directory in the repository from /2.0.0 to
/branches/2.0.0. Now when I try to update from the working repository I get

   svn: No repository found in
        'svn+ssh://host.name.com/website/2.0.0/www/'

Using WebSVN I can see the path /2.0.0 for the revision the working repository
is at (13), but when I look inside I get the message.

  Path not found - '/2.0.0/'

Using `svnlook tree . -r 13` I can see the path /2.0.0/www for this revision.

Can anybody explain what is happening here for me? I can't svn switch the
working repository. Is this the same problem as described at
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/apb.html#svn-ap-b-sect-1.2.16 ?

Trying to locate the problem I find I can reproduce an error - but it is
resolved by a svn switch:

~/svn$ svnadmin create sandbox
~/svn$ cd ~/src/roger
~/src/roger$ svn co file:///home/roger/svn/sandbox
Checked out revision 0.
~/src/roger$ cd sandbox/
~/src/roger$ mkdir 1.0.0
~/src/roger/sandbox$ svn add 1.0.0
A         1.0.0
~/src/roger/sandbox$ svn ci -m"add 1.0.0"
Adding         1.0.0

Committed revision 1.
~/src/roger/sandbox$ cd ..
~/src/roger$ svn co file:///home/roger/svn/sandbox/1.0.0
Checked out revision 1.
~/src/roger$ cd sandbox/
~/src/roger/sandbox$ mkdir trunk
~/src/roger/sandbox$ svn add trunk/
A         trunk
~/src/roger/sandbox$ svn ci -m"adding trunk"
Adding         trunk

Committed revision 2.
~/src/roger/sandbox$ svn mv 1.0.0/ trunk/
A         trunk/1.0.0
D         1.0.0
~/src/roger/sandbox$ svn ci -m"move 1.0.0 branch"
Deleting       1.0.0
Adding         trunk/1.0.0

Committed revision 3.
~/src/roger/sandbox$ cd ../1.0.0/
~/src/roger/1.0.0$ svn up
svn: Invalid editor anchoring; at least one of the input paths is not a
directory and there was no source entry
~/src/roger/1.0.0$ svn switch file:///home/roger/svn/sandbox/trunk/1.0.0
At revision 3.
~/src/roger/1.0.0$ svn up
At revision 3.

... which suggests to me I should be able to do a switch into my moved directory?

Thanks in advance,

Roger

Ninth Avenue Software                      p: +61 7 3870 8494
       _       _       _                    f: +61 7 3870 8491
    __(@)<  __(@)>  __(@),          w: http://www.ninthave.net
    \___)   \___)   \___)                 e: info@ninthave.net

PO Box 4179                             Send your spam to Sam
St Lucia South                               sam@ninthave.net
Queensland 4067
Australia                         http://www.ninthave.net/sam

Re: updating in moved directory

Posted by Roger Keays <r....@ninthave.net>.
> I'm having difficulty understanding how I can bring a directory up to
> date in a working version when the repository version of the directory
> has been moved.
>
> What I have done is moved the directory in the repository from /2.0.0 to
> /branches/2.0.0. Now when I try to update from the working repository I get
>
>   svn: No repository found in
>        'svn+ssh://host.name.com/website/2.0.0/www/'

My mistake - the repository location had been changed and I needed to do a

   svn switch --relocate ....

to fix this.

Thanks for all the help though.

Posted by Roger Keays <ro...@ninthave.net>.
>>AFAICT the switch is looking for the directory in the old
 >>revision (r13) ... would that make sense?
 >

 > No, it doesn't.  Can you actually show us a transcript, rather than
 > describe what you think is happening?  :-)
 >
 > I'd also like to see the output of 'svn info' on the root directory of
 > your working copy, as well as 'svn status' and 'svnversion'.

mong:/var/local/vhosts/santapark.com.au/www2# svn info
Repository UUID: 8fbfc0fd-d6db-0310-9906-ed814084a86f
Revision: 13
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: roger
Last Changed Rev: 13
Last Changed Date: 2004-06-02 16:44:04 +1000 (Wed, 02 Jun 2004)

mong:/var/local/vhosts/santapark.com.au/www2# svn status
A      themes/santapark/modules/articles/user-view-bulls.xt
A      themes/santapark/modules/articles/user-summary-bulls.xt
M      themes/santapark/modules/articles/user-display-pages.xt
A      themes/santapark/modules/articles/user-display-bulls.xt

mong:/var/local/vhosts/santapark.com.au/www2# svnversion .
13:20M

gravox:/var/local/svn/fields# svnlook -r20 tree website
/
   trunk/
   2.0.0/
    www/

Thanks for your help.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 18:58, Roger Keays wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> >>What I have done is moved the directory in the repository from /2.0.0 to
> >>/branches/2.0.0. Now when I try to update from the working repository I get
> >>
> >>   svn: No repository found in
> >>        'svn+ssh://host.name.com/website/2.0.0/www/'
> >>
> >>Can anybody explain what is happening here for me? I can't svn switch the
> >>working repository.
> >
> > As your detailed example shows, 'svn switch' is the solution.
> >
> > So, what exactly is the problem here?  You say you "can't svn switch",
> > but don't show us any details.  'svn switch
> > svn+ssh://host/website/branches/2.0.0' should work just fine.
>
> I get the above error for switch and for update (since they are essentially the
> same command).

They are the same in spirit and underlying implementation, but not in
what they ask the server to do.

'svn up' asks the server to compare the working-revision (r13) of the
/2.0.0 tree with the HEAD revision of the /2.0.0 tree.  The latter tree
doesn't exist, hence the error.

'svn switch newURL' asks the server to compare the working-revision
(r13) of the /2.0.0 tree with the HEAD revision of newURL
(/branches/2.0.0)  This should succeed, since both of those trees exist.

Posted by Roger Keays <r....@ninthave.net>.
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply.

>>What I have done is moved the directory in the repository from /2.0.0 to
>>/branches/2.0.0. Now when I try to update from the working repository I get
>>
>>   svn: No repository found in
>>        'svn+ssh://host.name.com/website/2.0.0/www/'
>>
>>Can anybody explain what is happening here for me? I can't svn switch the
>>working repository.
>
> As your detailed example shows, 'svn switch' is the solution.
>
> So, what exactly is the problem here?  You say you "can't svn switch",
> but don't show us any details.  'svn switch
> svn+ssh://host/website/branches/2.0.0' should work just fine.

I get the above error for switch and for update (since they are essentially the
same command). AFAICT the switch is looking for the directory in the old
revision (r13) ... would that make sense? The strange thing is that svnlook
shows all the files in that directory for that revision, but the web tool
'WebSVN' shows the error

  'Path not found' - /2.0.0/www

for that revision.

My initial thoughts were that this might be a limitation in the client software
as described at
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/apb.html#svn-ap-b-sect-1.2.16 . But then the
little test I did from the previous email made me wonder...

I have double checked that I'm issuing the correct switch command.

Cheers.

Roger

# svnlook -r13 tree website
/
  trunk/
  2.0.0/
   www/

# curl
'http://dev.ninthave.net/svn/listing.php?repname=website&path=/2.0.0/&rev=13&sc=1'

Path not found - '/2.0.0/'

Posted by Roger Keays <ro...@ninthave.net>.
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 21:07, Roger Keays wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having difficulty understanding how I can bring a directory up to date in a
> working version when the repository version of the directory has been moved.
>
> What I have done is moved the directory in the repository from /2.0.0 to
> /branches/2.0.0. Now when I try to update from the working repository I get
>
>    svn: No repository found in
>         'svn+ssh://host.name.com/website/2.0.0/www/'
>
> Can anybody explain what is happening here for me? I can't svn switch the
> working repository.

As your detailed example shows, 'svn switch' is the solution.

If you have a working copy of directory A, and then somebody else moves
A to B, they've essentially deleted A in the HEAD revision, and created
a new directory "B" which is a copy of A.

Then, when you run 'svn up' your working copy of A, you're asking the
server, "update me to reflect the A directory in the HEAD revision", to
which the server responds, "there is no A directory in the HEAD
revision."

The answer is to cd into your working copy and run 'svn switch B'.