Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Stefan Eissing <st...@eissing.org> on 2021/12/14 10:34:24 UTC

travis setup for 2.4.x

How is the relation between the .travis.yml in trunk and 2.4.x? We have checks for jobs in trunk with

- if: *condition_not_24x

and those jobs do not appear in the 2.4.x/.travis.yml. Is this a leftover? Are these 2 clearly separate or merged somehow?

Thanks for the help!

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Re: travis setup for 2.4.x

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

On 12/14/21 12:57 PM, Stefan Eissing wrote:

>> Am 14.12.2021 um 12:53 schrieb Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>:
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 11:34:24AM +0100, Stefan Eissing wrote:
>>> How is the relation between the .travis.yml in trunk and 2.4.x? We have checks for jobs in trunk with
>>>
>>> - if: *condition_not_24x
>>>
>>> and those jobs do not appear in the 2.4.x/.travis.yml. Is this a leftover? Are these 2 clearly separate or merged somehow?
>>
>> The intent was that .travis.yml (and test/travis*) can be kept the same
>> in 2.4.x as in trunk, with the "if" conditions then used to limit
>> exactly which tests are run in trunk vs 2.4. Then we should write the
>> tests for trunk in a way which should always be fine to backport as-is
>> to 2.4.
>
> Ah, I get it. Thanks.
>
>> In practice it gets a bit hard to disentangle some changes, and the 2.4
>> .travis.yml is a bit stale, so maybe there is a better practice.  e.g.
>> we could simply maintain two completely independent .travis.yml files
>> and copy and paste stuff from trunk where required.
>>
>> Not really sure to be honest, welcome any opinions.
>
> For me, I'd like to tinker with things in trunk without any fear
> of breaking stuff in our release testing. That is why I prefer copies
> of test/modules/* from trunk in 2.4.x that I refresh ideally on backports.
>
> I myself find this easier than version checking in test. ymmv.

How about marking tests that could break the release build as "allowed to fail"?
It would still give you the testing against 2.4.x, but things would remain "green".
We already have such tests for other architectures already.

Regards

RĂ¼diger

Re: travis setup for 2.4.x

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@eissing.org>.

> Am 14.12.2021 um 12:53 schrieb Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>:
>
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 11:34:24AM +0100, Stefan Eissing wrote:
>> How is the relation between the .travis.yml in trunk and 2.4.x? We have checks for jobs in trunk with
>>
>> - if: *condition_not_24x
>>
>> and those jobs do not appear in the 2.4.x/.travis.yml. Is this a leftover? Are these 2 clearly separate or merged somehow?
>
> The intent was that .travis.yml (and test/travis*) can be kept the same
> in 2.4.x as in trunk, with the "if" conditions then used to limit
> exactly which tests are run in trunk vs 2.4. Then we should write the
> tests for trunk in a way which should always be fine to backport as-is
> to 2.4.

Ah, I get it. Thanks.

> In practice it gets a bit hard to disentangle some changes, and the 2.4
> .travis.yml is a bit stale, so maybe there is a better practice.  e.g.
> we could simply maintain two completely independent .travis.yml files
> and copy and paste stuff from trunk where required.
>
> Not really sure to be honest, welcome any opinions.

For me, I'd like to tinker with things in trunk without any fear
of breaking stuff in our release testing. That is why I prefer copies
of test/modules/* from trunk in 2.4.x that I refresh ideally on backports.

I myself find this easier than version checking in test. ymmv.

> (Also, does anybody know why Travis notifications by e-mail are broken?)

Would be interested in seeing them again, as well.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Re: travis setup for 2.4.x

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.

Re: travis setup for 2.4.x

Posted by Kay Hohenhaus <pk...@outlook.com>.
Would you kindly unsubscribe me? Many thanks