Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/15 15:20:02 UTC

Re: Return types of Write transforms (aka best way to signal)

Just wanted to bring back the conversation on this subject. A quick
abstract of the discussion so far:

We are trying to agree in the best approach for return types in Write
transforms towards some sort of ‘homogenization’ in IOs.
At the moment we mostly agree that the best approach for return types
in Writes are:

4. Write returns ‘a class that implements POutput’
6. Write returns `PCollection<SourceSpecificWriteResult>`

There are still some details to discuss:

1. Is (4) somehow less composable than (6) ?
2. Could it make sense (in the API sense) that `SourceSpecificWriteResult`
contains a PCollection too as an attribute to cover the ‘tuple’ return
type issue?

In its last email Reuven mentioned some extra points that could change
the direction towards one of the options. Anyone else has comments /
more ideas we may be missing?

Posted by Lukasz Cwik <lc...@google.com>.
In the POutput case (4), does that mean we will have to compute all those
outputs in the transform even if they aren't used?

If yes, I prefer (6) because it allows for the transform structure to be
modified to either produce these additional outputs only if they will be
consumed instead of having them produced all the time.