Posted to pluto-user@portals.apache.org by Craig Walls <wa...@michaels.com> on 2003/10/22 15:49:39 UTC

Portlets and J2EE?

All,

Nobody has given me an accurate answer to this questions yet, so I'm
hoping that someone on this e-mail list can help. It's really more of a
philosophical question than a technical question, but I need to know so
that I accurately portray JSR-168 when I present it.

Is JSR-168 considered (or will it be considered) part of the J2EE family
of specifications or is it more of a peripheral specification? On the
one hand, it is based loosely on servlets and doesn't make much sense
outside of a J2EE environment. On the other hand, I'm not sure if it
directly fits into the J2EE space.

I'm sure that this question will muster up some debate and controversy,
so I apologize in advance. But I need to know so that I don't
misrepresent JSR-168.

Thanks,
Craig

Re: Portlets and J2EE?

Posted by Stefan Hepper <st...@hursley.ibm.com>.
Hi Craig,
yes, the goal is to integrate the Portlets into J2EE someday. However,
to achieve this the Portal Spec needs to be compliant with the current
J2EE version, which is 1.4 (the Portlet Spec currently requires 1.3) and
need some kind of portlet invoker mechanism. We'll work in follow-on
Portlet Spec JSRs towards this goal of getting into J2EE.

Stefan