Posted to users@maven.apache.org by benxs <bx...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2010/10/06 14:28:49 UTC

Difference between archetype:create and archetype:generate?

What is the difference between these two goals?

>From my point of view both generate a project (directory structure).

Ben

Re: Difference between archetype:create and archetype:generate?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2010/10/6 benxs <bx...@yahoo.co.uk>:

> What is the difference between these two goals?

archetype:create is deprecated.

Antonio

Re: Difference between archetype:create and archetype:generate?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
create doesn't do any prompting for missing arguments or utilise newer features like the catalog. It's deprecated, and I think actually delegates to generate internally.

On 06/10/2010, at 11:28 PM, benxs wrote:

> What is the difference between these two goals?
>
> From my point of view both generate a project (directory structure).
>
> Ben

Brett Porter
brett@apache.org
http://brettporter.wordpress.com/

Re: Difference between archetype:create and archetype:generate?

Posted by per-henrik hedman <ph...@gmail.com>.
The archetype:create generates an archetype once you have defined all
the necessary properties for the archetype, while the
archetype:generate gives you user interactive options for a number of
template-archetypes.

But they both generate/creates an archetype but in quite a different manner...

Cheers,
Per Hedman