Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Bill Binole <bi...@Attachmate.com> on 2000/09/19 18:03:46 UTC

What's the difference?

What does soap buy me that a servlet can't?  Maybe I missed the boat here
but there does not seem to be that much difference in what you can
accomplish between the two.

Bill

Re: What's the difference?

Posted by Prasenjit Mukherjee <pr...@bea.com>.
SOAP gives you a way of exchanging DATA whereas servlet doesn't....

prasen

Re: What's the difference?

Posted by Prasenjit Mukherjee <pr...@bea.com>.

Re: What's the difference?

Posted by Bruno Câmara <bf...@bes.pt>.
SOAP is a way of doing RPC (Remote Procedure Call) like RMI. SOAP defines how
to do remote calls and how to format data in these calls using XML over HTTP.
I think is erroneous to compare SOAP Vs Servlets. For example you can use
servlets responding XML (by SOAP) instead of HTML. SOAP is only a RPC
specification.

Bruno Câmara

Re: What's the difference?

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.
IMHO you did not only miss the boat but you must be also from a different
planet. (-: Please go to the W3C site and read the latest Soap spec at:
 http://www.w3.org/Submission/2000/05/Comment
http://www.w3.org/Submission/2000/05/  )
Regards - George

Re: What's the difference?

Posted by Simon Fell <so...@zaks.demon.co.uk>.
On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:03:46 -0700, in soap you wrote:

>What does soap buy me that a servlet can't?  Maybe I missed the boat here
>but there does not seem to be that much difference in what you can
>accomplish between the two.
>
>Bill

you're comparing apples & oranges, soap is (largely) a wire protocol
format, whilst servlet's are a way to host code for web servers.

Simon

Re: What's the difference?

Posted by Simon Fell <so...@zaks.demon.co.uk>.

Re: What's the difference?

Posted by Nathan Wray <nw...@mich.com>.
SOAP is an Object Access Protocol (hopefully a simple one, hence SOAP).  It
is useful for letting objects communicate across the network.

Servlet objects can't communicate with each other across the network as such,
without introducing a communications layer (home rolled via sockets, RMI,
CORBA, something).  Or am I misunderstanding your question?

--
Nathan Wray
nwray@mich.com

Re: What's the difference?