Posted to general@logging.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/03 11:19:34 UTC

log4cx: attic or incubation?

Hello folks,

please look at these few e-mails:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/logging-log4cxx-dev/201304.mbox/browser

For me there are two ways for log4cxx: incubation or attic.

I was outreaching for devs on log4cxx and got a few responses. It seems a couple
of people are interested in continuing this component. Most of them
said they might apply a couple of patches here and there, but nobody
burst out in emotions saying, YAY, this is it.

Without such a person I guess we have little chance in the incubator.
Maybe I am having a wrong view on it, so I ask you to voice your
opinion.

For now I would like to propose that I am cloning log4cxx to my GitHub
account and move the svn repos to the attic. That way I can overlook
if there is a team growing around log4cxx or not. Also I can ask for
ICLAs before accepting pull requests, which should help when we go
back to incubation. If there is, we can go back to incubation at any
time. If there is not, then well, no harm done.

Comments?

Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: log4cx: attic or incubation?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Rhys Ulerich <rh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The library is, more or less, stable and feature complete.  There's
> not much shepherding to be done in terms of driving the functionality
> in some particular direction.  That is, unless there's some burning
> feature set that folks need that hasn't been discussed on the log4cxx
> mailing list in the years that I have been lurking.  The problem seems
> to be that the overhead of contributing small fixes is off-puttingly
> high.  It's hard to elicit a YAY from anyone under these
> circumstances.

All true. I find it hard to believe that in all these years nobody
needed a new feature.
Maybe it's a language thing and all cxx devs are really happy with
what they have.
But on the other hand you are right, contributing is difficult.

>> For now I would like to propose that I am cloning log4cxx to my GitHub
>> account and move the svn repos to the attic. That way I can overlook
>> if there is a team growing around log4cxx or not. Also I can ask for
>> ICLAs before accepting pull requests, which should help when we go
>> back to incubation. If there is, we can go back to incubation at any
>> time. If there is not, then well, no harm done.
>>
>> Comments?
>
> I like this approach.

Please also see the mail from Gary. He proposed to set up an official
ASF mirror, from
which we could directly accept patches (I heard).

> I would ask that, before you do this, you please make one last 10.2
> release off the Apache-blessed sources.  Trunk differs in slight but
> important ways from 10.1 (e.g., it builds).  This way the distro
> package managers can at least get one last blessed version into their
> pipelines before the log4cxx community goes off and experiments with a
> reboot.

The sad truth is that I never built log4cxx and I am not sure if I can
do it - i simply have never done anything with cxx. Maybe I will get
it with the help of the community. This at least would prove the
interest of the people who raised their hand over at log4cxx land

Thanks for speaking up!

Cheers
Christian

Posted by Rhys Ulerich <rh...@gmail.com>.
> As I understood it, this is when the attic comes into play. Unused
> repositories which do not get any maintenance. They are still readable
> though and can be used.

The repo isn't silent because no one wants to contribute bug fixes. It is
silent because it has been effectively locked due to a lack of active
committers.

- Rhys

Re: log4cx: attic or incubation?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
log4j 1.x build is also so complicated, and recently I considered
creating a Vagrant file for it.
http://vagrantup.com/

This might be cool for log4cxx too. But of course, this requires a bit
more time. I have managed to get into Puppet/Vagrant into a couple of
hours and its worth every minute, but if you will not need it, its of
course a lot of time.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi All:

[Note that I am not and do not plan on working on log4cxx]

Posted by Rhys Ulerich <rh...@gmail.com>.
> Most of them
> said they might apply a couple of patches here and there, but nobody
> burst out in emotions saying, YAY, this is it.

The library is, more or less, stable and feature complete.  There's
not much shepherding to be done in terms of driving the functionality
in some particular direction.  That is, unless there's some burning
feature set that folks need that hasn't been discussed on the log4cxx
mailing list in the years that I have been lurking.  The problem seems
to be that the overhead of contributing small fixes is off-puttingly
high.  It's hard to elicit a YAY from anyone under these
circumstances.

> For now I would like to propose that I am cloning log4cxx to my GitHub
> account and move the svn repos to the attic. That way I can overlook
> if there is a team growing around log4cxx or not. Also I can ask for
> ICLAs before accepting pull requests, which should help when we go
> back to incubation. If there is, we can go back to incubation at any
> time. If there is not, then well, no harm done.
>
> Comments?

I like this approach.