Posted to axkit-dev@xml.apache.org by Kip Hampton <kh...@totalcinema.com> on 2004/03/01 10:41:07 UTC

Re: Web Server Down (Again)

Matt Sergeant wrote:

> I'm personally in no hurry to do this, but it depends what the community
> thinks.

I'm in no rush, either. There are several things to consider:

First, we've chosen not to use the resources provided by the ASF so that
we can publish AxKit's public site *using* AxKit. I still think its the
Right Thing(tm) for us to eat own dog food (and that means hosting
elsewhere), but we shouldn't forget that we have the option available.

Also, precisely *because* we eat our own dog food, its doubly important
that axkit.org be attentively maintained. Frustrating users is bad
enough; saying "our way is better" then presenting them with a b0rken
site just plain makes us look bad.

Reality is that the situation has changed from when things were set up
initially. More people are using AxKit than ever, and so the
consequences of axkit.org being down are greater. Hosting axkit.org on
Matt's box (and expecting him to be Johnny-on-the-spot when things go
wrong) provided a key resource when we needed it, but I think that both
our needs and the expectations of our users have outgrown the current
environment.

Mike Nachbaur's offer is a generous one, but I've always been leery of
relying on work resources for community projects (some PHB gets a wild
hair and *boom* the site is down for weeks while we find something
else). Maybe we need to explore the what's and what ifs before accepting
or declining.

Paid hosting/colo is another option; but then where does the $$ come
from? Us? donations? As an ASF project, can we even legally accept
community donations? Beyond that, there are the companies that offer
AxKit hosting, maybe we can weasel free host...er, I mean, work
something out with one of them.

Anyway, there really is no need to rush this unduly, but I do think we
have grown to the point that we need to start looking for more robust
options.

-kip

Re: Web Server Down (Again)

Posted by Jörg Walter <jw...@garni.ch>.
On Monday, 01. March 2004 10:41, Kip Hampton wrote:

> Mike Nachbaur's offer is a generous one, but I've always been leery of
> relying on work resources for community projects (some PHB gets a wild
> hair and *boom* the site is down for weeks while we find something
> else). Maybe we need to explore the what's and what ifs before accepting
> or declining.
>
> Paid hosting/colo is another option; but then where does the $$ come
> from? Us? donations? As an ASF project, can we even legally accept
> community donations? Beyond that, there are the companies that offer
> AxKit hosting, maybe we can weasel free host...er, I mean, work
> something out with one of them.

I can offer my box as well. It's my private box, traffic virtually unlimited,
hardware more than enough, fast uplink (a few GBit/s), and soon in production
use for something else I want to earn money with. It runs AxKit CVS and is
already hosting an AxKit Wiki.

For completeness, I have to mention that I've had reliability problems with
it, but since the technical staff exchanged the power supply, it worked
flawlessly (3 months now, so it looks like they finally found the problem).

--
CU
  Joerg

PGP Public Key at http://ich.bin.kein.hoschi.de/~trouble/public_key.asc
PGP Key fingerprint = D34F 57C4 99D8 8F16 E16E  7779 CDDC 41A4 4C48 6F94

Re: Web Server Down (Again)

Posted by Michael A Nachbaur <mi...@nachbaur.com>.
On March 1, 2004 01:41 am, Kip Hampton wrote:
> Mike Nachbaur's offer is a generous one, but I've always been leery of
> relying on work resources for community projects (some PHB gets a wild
> hair and *boom* the site is down for weeks while we find something
> else). Maybe we need to explore the what's and what ifs before accepting
> or declining.

Well, FWIW I just got management approval (in writing) for hosting axkit.org
on my servers (in fact, my boss was happy to have the opportunity to give
back to AxKit in some way).

So, if the community feels like going that direction, the PHB waters are a bit
less turbulent. :-)