Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2009/08/01 06:28:48 UTC

Re: Is anybody home? :-D

We've discussed the javac target option previously, setting target=1.2
does not indicate that only methods in the JDK 1.2's class library are
used, it means to output byte-code that adheres to that particular
JVM's byte code format.  The target setting was intentional.  I'm not
aware of any significant improvement that would come from bumping it.
I definitely would not want to bump it on log4j itself.

I think the reason for bumping one of the companions to using log4j
1.2.16 instead of 15 is that we were having class loading issues when
UnrecognizedElementHandler (which is used to support nested content in
user defined appenders et al) was defined both in log4j.jar and in the
companion.  I think the interface was removed from the companion and
the minimal version was bumped.

Re: Is anybody home? :-D

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Aug 1, 2009, at 4:49 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:

> 2009/8/1 Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>:
>> We've discussed the javac target option previously, setting
>> target=1.2
>
> Just a note, in companion component the target is 1.1, the source is
> 1.2.
>
>> does
>> not indicate that only methods in the JDK 1.2's class library are
>> used, it
>> means to output byte-code that adheres to that particular JVM's
>> byte code
>> format.
>
> You're right, in fact the only problem is inside Eclipse, since it is
> saying that the environment that I use (J2SE 1.2 over a Java SE 6)
> gives me compile errors due to "restrictions in the use of some
> classes", such as DOM classes.
>
>>  The target setting was intentional.  I'm not aware of any
>> significant improvement that would come from bumping it.  I
>> definitely would
>> not want to bump it on log4j itself.
>
> Why not on the companions, then? Java 5 is at the end-of-life, while
> Java 6 is mature, why not jumping *at least* into Java 5?
>
> Antonio

My minds a little fuzzy on the details, but I remember having to avoid
some combinations of target and source to work with particular
compilers.  I'm open to evolving the settings if they are causing pain
with more modern environments, but cautious to change for the sake of
change in the mainline stuff.  For the unreleased companions,
compatibility with obsolete JVM's is much less of an issue.

Re: Is anybody home? :-D

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.