Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2007/08/04 14:11:01 UTC

Re: [sa-list] Re: [sa-list] Re: Default Plugins?

Dan Mahoney, System Admin writes:
> Notes in there such as:
>
> '"Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DomainKeys" is officialy outdated by "Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DKIM"'
>
> would be nice things too (as presumably, nothing is going to ever REMOVE
> that old module from its installed location for those of us using the
> make, make install method, and because SA will still read the
> three-versions-ago command to LOAD that module.

This is listed in the SpamAssassin INSTALL file.  you read that, right? ;)

Note btw that it only applies for certain versions of Mail::DKIM, so
it's not a sure thing by any means.

> > However, I don't know what a lint would do for you.  Plugins are optional (*),
> > so not loading them isn't a reportable problem.  In fact, that's one of the
> > main benefits of having plugins: being able to not load certain functionality,
> > reducing the amount of resources needed to run SA, etc.
>
> Maybe I didn't mean the same thing by LINT you thought I meant?  Under
> BSD, there's a kernel config file called LINT that lists every possible
> kernel config option (even cross-incompatible ones) so you can at least
> see and grep for them all.  In older versions, this was fully commented.
> In more recent versions, it's programmatically generated, which means
> there's no nice human readable comments, but that it's more likely to be
> all-inclusive.

Predating that usage, "lint" is an old tool which performs diagnostic
checks on C code to spot possible errors, cf:

  http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/documentation/ss10_docs/mr/man1/lint.1.html

> Even now, there could be functionality I'm missing, simply because I
> haven't installed every minor version in between.

Be sure to read README, UPGRADE and INSTALL when upgrading.

--j.