Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by JRad <be...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/14 16:18:58 UTC

Production usage of BigCouch and the Future?

Howdy Big! Couchers,

We are estimating to deal with large-scale couchdb views (about more than
hundred Gigs of couchdb indexes) in production.
(Which I don't think is a feasible size on a single couchdb on one machine,
because of limited machine memory !?)
To provide index partitioning, we are thinking of BigCouch, which is lovely
fork of Couchdb, but I'm not sure about the future!?
I've read links but have not found any roadmap or planned merge! Since we
are planing for a critical system in production, I wonder
if using BigCouch will be risky or not?

Thank you in advance,

Re: Production usage of BigCouch and the Future?

Posted by Stephen C Foulkes <sf...@fnal.gov>.
On Aug 14, 2012, at 9:18 AM, JRad wrote:

> Howdy Big! Couchers,
>
> We are estimating to deal with large-scale couchdb views (about more than
> hundred Gigs of couchdb indexes) in production.
> (Which I don't think is a feasible size on a single couchdb on one machine,
> because of limited machine memory !?)

We've been able to run couch databases with this much data.  Compaction sucks but it doesn't consume all that much memory.

Steve

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
BigCouch will be merging into CouchDB in the near future (we announced this plan some months ago but have only started the work in earnest recently). We are working on the CouchDB 1.3 release which might be the last single-node release of CouchDB.

B.