Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "alex c." <ab...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/22 16:40:56 UTC

james-2.3.2 starts to consume CPU and eat memory when SSL enabled.

Hello,

I have enabled the SSL for POP3 (using
http://wiki.apache.org/james/UsingSSL). And now when I run server the
CPU goes ~90% and memory quickly grows.

Actually I just uncommented SSL factory in <server-sockets> section
and for enabled TLS in <pop3server> :

<pop3server enabled="true">
   <port>995</port>
   <useTLS>true</useTLS>
<pop3server enabled="true">

If I set <useTLS>false</useTLS> the CPU usage is ~0%, and no memory issues.

What is wrong here?

- Alex

Re: james-2.3.2 starts to consume CPU and eat memory when SSL enabled.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Hi Stephane,

could you show use the exact jvm version ? Could you try james trunk
and see i you have the same problem ?

Thx,
Norman

Posted by Stephane <st...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "alex c." <ab...@gmail.com>.
Hi Norman,

According to 3.0 snapshot... I have enabled startTLS="true" for POP3
and specified keystore. The server started without CPU or Memory
issues. Basically I am not bound to any particular JAMES version and
can use this snapshot...

BTW, I still can't say for sure if it really work... For some reason I
can't receive any mail using Outlook Express - it just hangs... Even
more, I switched back to 110 without ssl, and received such error in
Outlook Express:

Message number 1 could not be retrieved. Account: ..., Server:
localhost, Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Error while
retrieving message.', Port: 110, Secure (SSL): No, Server Error:
0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800420CD

Thanks,

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Alex,

I will need to investigate a bit more on this. Could you also try to
use a snapshot from current trunk and see if its still the case there.
Be warned, it now use spring and man other stuff so its a bit
different in configuration. I would be just interested in if it
startup ok with ssl enabled and the cpu usage is ok..

Grab snapshot from here:
http://james.zones.apache.org/builds/

Bye,
Norman