Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org> on 2003/01/17 23:56:19 UTC

[VOTE] PMC

Hi,

James commiters..

As you will have seen if we can get the detail done in time we can get our TLP proposal in front of the board on wednesday.

Therefore I propose that:

The initial PMC of the Apache James project be all active commiters and that active be considered as those who voted in the vote which decided us to propose James for elevation to TLP being:

Serge Knystautas
Danny Angus
Peter Goldstein
Noel Bergman
Charles Bennet

Further nominations and election to the board of other commiters not mentioned being allowed at any time hereafter.

Further that unless anyone has a good reason to nominate any other person Serge be elected un-opposed as PMC chair, as he has been nominated already. So ... Any further nominations for the Chair?

_Please_ express your opinion ASAP so we can get this done in time.

All of these points are interim measures which may be reviewed by the PMC after it has been formed.

d.

Re: [VOTE] PMC

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Danny Angus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> James commiters..
>
> As you will have seen if we can get the detail done in time we can get our TLP proposal in front of the board on wednesday.
>
> Therefore I propose that:
>
> The initial PMC of the Apache James project be all active commiters and that active be considered as those who voted in the vote which decided us to propose James for elevation to TLP being:
>
> Serge Knystautas
> Danny Angus
> Peter Goldstein
> Noel Bergman
> Charles Bennet
>
> Further nominations and election to the board of other commiters not mentioned being allowed at any time hereafter.
>
> Further that unless anyone has a good reason to nominate any other person Serge be elected un-opposed as PMC chair, as he has been nominated already. So ... Any further nominations for the Chair?
>

> _Please_ express your opinion ASAP so we can get this done in time.
>
> All of these points are interim measures which may be reviewed by the PMC after it has been formed.

+1 and no further nominations. :)

(danny, sorry I haven't had time to read your proposal... been on biz
travel this week... will read again in detail this weekend and will let
you know if I have any comments.  from first reading when you put it
out, I don't remember anything outstanding.)

--
Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies

Re: [VOTE] PMC

Posted by Darrell DeBoer <da...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 08:56, Danny Angus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> James commiters..
>
> As you will have seen if we can get the detail done in time we can get our
> TLP proposal in front of the board on wednesday.
>
> Therefore I propose that:
>
> The initial PMC of the Apache James project be all active commiters and
> that active be considered as those who voted in the vote which decided us
> to propose James for elevation to TLP being:
>
> Serge Knystautas
> Danny Angus
> Peter Goldstein
> Noel Bergman
> Charles Bennet
>
> Further nominations and election to the board of other commiters not
> mentioned being allowed at any time hereafter.
>
> Further that unless anyone has a good reason to nominate any other person
> Serge be elected un-opposed as PMC chair, as he has been nominated already.
> So ... Any further nominations for the Chair?
>

> _Please_ express your opinion ASAP so we can get this done in time.
>
> All of these points are interim measures which may be reviewed by the PMC
> after it has been formed.
>
> d.

+0 - only because I don't have much time to help out directly

--
ciao,
Daz

Re: [VOTE] PMC

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

Re: [VOTE] PMC

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
From: "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
And I have no further nominations for the Chair.

This was already nominated and voted on. I think at least 3 people voted for
Serge and there were no other nominations. (Noel, me and I think one more.)
Not sure if this needs revisiting.

Harmeet

Re: [VOTE] PMC

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
Further that unless anyone has a good reason to nominate any other person
Serge be elected un-opposed as PMC chair, as he has been nominated already.
So ... Any further nominations for the Chair?

Sorry didn't register this part of the email and replied prematurely.

_Please_ express your opinion ASAP so we can get this done in time.

Looks good. +1 from me too(from earlier +0). James community and creative
energy seems to have picked up very nicely post release.

Harmeet

RE: [VOTE] PMC

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
My vote is +1 to PMC suggested.
And I have no further nominations for the Chair.

RE: [VOTE] PMC

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
FYI the result of the vote in question is here:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=james-dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=5545

RE: [VOTE] PMC

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
The result of vote for the PMC was as follows:

+1 to the proposal
Charles Bennet
Danny Angus
Serge Knystautas
Noel Bergman
Harmeet Bedi

+0 Darrell DeBoer

-0 & -1 No votes

Abstention
Peter Goldstein

The following commiters have not voted in the project for over 1 year,
duncan,
jon,
donaldp,
bburns,

I therefore declare the motion carried.

On the matter of nominations for the Chair only one nomination has been recieved, and I declare Serge Knystautas elected un-opposed.

I will forward our proposal to the Board straight away.

d.

RE: [VOTE] PMC

Posted by ap...@benett1.demon.co.uk.
Danny,
+1 for the PMC from me.
(I'm having a few email problems at the moment so please forward to list if necessary)
Charles

RE: [VOTE] PMC

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I'd like to get them sent tomorrow AM so the board have
> them 24hrs in advance of the meeting.

Done.  If there is something you don't like, just say so.  :-)

	--- Noel

RE: [VOTE] PMC

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

RE: [VOTE] PMC

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
+1 (redundant with prior vote).

I'd like to suggest changes to the wording of the documents.  Sample changes are below.  I am in the process of merging my changes from Friday into the current documents.  If there are no objections to the approach expressed by these changes, I'll commit the full documents for review when I get back in and can finish them later today.

My changes are primarily two-fold:

  (a) incorporate the existing evolution towards a unified
      electronic messaging server.
  (b) eliminate the negative references to Jakarta, and
      focus on the positive reasons for TLP status.

We are not trying to be a server for all purposes, but we do have a mechanism for plugging in protocol providers that can share a common infrastructure, and are within the basic domain of electronic messages.  And we have discussed each of the above protocols favorably, plus the new Fetch/FetchMail/FetchMessages service is capable of supporting any protocol for which JavaMail has a provider, e.g., proprietary web mail protocols.  We do not, for example, support a request / response model like HTTP, but we do support multiple send, store, deliver and retrieve protocols and message content formats.

Accordingly ...

 - replace "the Apache James E-Mail server and the Apache Mailet API" with "electronic messaging based upon IETF protocols (e.g. SMTP, POP3, IMAP, NNTP, XMPP)"

 - replace "James is a 100% Java mail and news server." with "James is a 100% Java mail and news server, evolving into a complete electronic messaging solution that integrates the range of IETF protocols, such as SMTP, POP3, IMAP, NNTP, and XMPP with unified user account management and open storage mechanisms."

 - replace "processing of mail and news messages." with "processing of electronic messages."

With respect to the positive reasons for TLP status:

 - replace the General section with:

"James is a mature, self-determining project that is able to govern itself under the auspices of the ASF Board in accordance with ASF bylaws and guidelines.

As James consists primarily of the server, which is an end-user product, we feel that top level project status, emphasisng its function rather than its platform, would suit James well.  Top level project status would also facilitate the ability to position the Mailet API as a separate specification, of which James would represent a reference implementation.

James will continue to work closely with the Avalon Project, and is establishing ties with other ASF projects, such as Cocoon and BSF, to integrate some of their technologies within James."

 - Remove the first paragraph from Project Management, and add this to the bottom of the section:

"We believe think that normalising our relationship with the ASF Board by becoming a direct subordinate rather than indirectly reporting through Jakarta, and taking official control of all the issues we currently inherit and "interpret" from Jakarta, would benefit James."