Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andy Taylor <an...@mxmg.com> on 2002/07/17 12:34:49 UTC

Detecting browser encryption level

Hi All,

I am in the process of writing a site which will have a Verisign 128-bit key
size certificate installed, and want to run a check that all browsers using
the site is able to use 128-bit keys. I am planning on using the new
javax.servlet.request.key_size request attribute, but I understand that this
only works when you are using an HTTPS connection.

My question is: if the browser I am using is not 128-bit enabled, how will I
be able to make an HTTPS connection to get to this bit of code? Is it still
possible to talk via SSL to a server with a 128-bit certificate if my
browser doesn't support this level of encryption?

Andy Taylor