Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Francisco Viramontes <pa...@freshout.us> on 2009/10/04 22:49:10 UTC

couchdb and monit

Hey Guys

has anyone tried to monitor couch with monit?

I am using this settings and monit successfully monitors but when
couchdb dies it fails to restart the service and I can find out why

here is my couchdb.monitrc file:

check process couchdb
   with pidfile /var/run/couchdb/couchdb.pid
   start program = "/etc/init.d/couchdb start"
   stop program = "/etc/init.d/couchdb stop"
   if failed host 127.0.0.1 port 5984 then restart
   if failed url http://localhost:5984/ and content == '"couchdb"'
then restart
   group couchdb

BTW I am using couch 0.9.1 and about once a day it dies on me the only
thing I get from the log are strange erlang error messages saying OS
procees timeout, anyone know whats that about?

PAco

Re: couchdb and monit

Posted by Francisco Viramontes <pa...@freshout.us>.
Wow good idea dude, my couch databases are already 200 GB large and
grow at that rate every two months or so.

PAco

Re: couchdb and monit

Posted by Zachary Zolton <za...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, we've been using monit quite happily, as well:

check process couchdb with pidfile /usr/local/var/run/couchdb/couchdb.pid
group database
start program = "/etc/init.d/couchdb start"
stop  program = "/etc/init.d/couchdb stop"
if failed host 127.0.0.1 port 5984 then restart
if cpu is greater than 40% for 2 cycles then alert
if cpu > 60% for 5 cycles then restart
if 10 restarts within 10 cycles then timeout
depends on data_fs

You'll note that it depends on data_fs which is an Amazon EBS drive
that also is monitored. Furthermore, we can be notified of high CPU
usage for traffic spikes...

Re: couchdb and monit

Posted by Nicholas Orr <ni...@zxgen.net>.

Re: couchdb and monit