Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by vicky23 <sp...@rediffmail.com> on 2007/04/12 12:35:42 UTC

JackRabbit Vs Alfresco

 Hi guys,
            What do You think which one is good JackRabbit or Alfresco

Re: JackRabbit Vs Alfresco

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
Since this is primarily a Jackrabbit list I think this is a tricky question to
answer, since there are very few people on this list that have in-depth
experience with other JCR compliant content repositories.

Regarding the "most scalable repository" statement that was quoted,
I think it is safe to say that one can reach very comparable numbers
with Jackrabbit.

Generally I think Jukka's statement ...
---
We consider Jackrabbit to be the most feature-rich and
standards-compliant open source JCR implementation. Jackrabbit
implements all the mandatory and optional features in JCR.
---
... can be considered very honest and free of "marketing" claims

I think this list can assure you of the presence of certain features in
Jackrabbit but it probably is not a very good forum to find out about
the absence of features in other JCR implementations.

So if you are looking for a particular feature set, please feel
free to describe your application a bit more in detail and I am
sure this list will function as a very good sounding board, whether
your application is well-suited for Jackrabbit.

regards,
david

RE: Re: JackRabbit Vs Alfresco

Posted by Duong BaTien <du...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for info. I am still learning different implementations. My
objective is to have JCR RMI server connecting to Oracle database. The
JCR will also have a WebDAV layer so window system can directly interact
with it. The client web site uses JSF.

I am very interested in OSGi, waiting for Spring 2.1 and see if it can
make easier for a web server of OSGi + Felix + Tomcat. Progresses in
Jcr, Nuxeo and Alfresco are important to us.

BaTien

Posted by "Danner, Russ" <Da...@csps.com>.
Oh .. I wanted to mention that on the acegi issues you are correct
concerning the ThreadLocals. Executes in its own threads you aren't
gaurenteed to get the same thread on subsequent calls.  In reality that
doesn't matter because the Alfresc JCR implementation carries it's
security ticket and sets up the thread on each request.  However there
was a small bug in the code that was keeping this from happening.

-R

Posted by Daniel Murley <dm...@xbiosystems.com>.
The RMI layer for alfresco is somewhat poor, and virtually unusable if
you're not using Acegi for your security.

If you're not using Acegi for your security, you can expect to be able to

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 4/15/07, Danner, Russ <Da...@csps.com> wrote:
> Your right it should but there are some constraints on the Alfresco side
> at the moment that keep the implementation from working properly.

Ah, good to know. Do you know if it's anything we can help with on our
side? I'm qurious since jackrabbit-jcr-rmi should really work with any
compliant JCR implementation.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

RE: Re: JackRabbit Vs Alfresco

Posted by "Danner, Russ" <Da...@csps.com>.
Jukka,

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 4/15/07, Danner, Russ <Da...@csps.com> wrote:
> Another important thing to note about the implementation is that
> currently the Alfresco JCR implementation has to run "in-process."

Note that the same applies to by default also to Jackrabbit. You can
use the jackrabbit-jcr-rmi remoting layer with any JCR implementation,
so it should work fine also with Alfresco.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

RE: Re: JackRabbit Vs Alfresco

> On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 04:22 -0700, Kalyan Sarkar wrote:
>> I too have the same question in my mind. However I haven't worked
with
>> Alfresco at all.
>>

> Or Nuxeo which is based on jackrabbit. Opinion?

Nuxeo ECM currently uses Jackrabbit as its JCR backend storage. We
haven't tried plugging Alfresco's JCR implementation, but we would
welcome someone trying it and contributing a connector (our architecture

allows plugging different connectors to an underlying storage).

Florent

Open Source Enterprise Content Management (ECM)

Re: JackRabbit Vs Alfresco

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.

Re: JackRabbit Vs Alfresco

Posted by Duong BaTien <du...@gmail.com>.