Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/14 15:48:28 UTC

Thinking about 0.16.1 patch release

It seems inevitable that a few annoying regressions will pop up as
0.16.0 becomes more widely deployed, e.g. ARROW-7841 was just reported
and patched. I created a 0.16.1 Fix Version in JIRA so that we can tag
issues that we may want to cherry pick into a maint-0.16.x branch. We
probably would want to wait a couple of weeks before cutting the patch
release, though.

Also, as a matter of easing release management for patch releases, I
wonder if it makes sense to focus RC verification efforts on the
binary artifacts (especially the Python wheels). Should we write down
a "reduced" set of tasks for release managers to track for patch
releases?

Thanks,
Wes

Re: Thinking about 0.16.1 patch release

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.
IIUC the difference in the verification script is that we construct the
wheel file name, download it, and install the file, rather than have pip
query a repo and download the latest:
https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/dev/release/verify-release-candidate-wheels.bat#L69-L72

Verification failed first with a 404 on the wget, and then when the file
path was fixed to reflect the actual file name (the first time around, with
an extra m), python said that there was no package matching the ABI. If we
were testing pip installing from a repository, this would have failed as
soon as we started building wheels for py38.

Neal

Posted by Krisztián Szűcs <sz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.