Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2003/07/31 23:30:01 UTC

request to accept new project: wsrp4j

ibm has a codebase that they want to open through the asf.  the
detailed proposal has already been posted on the apache wiki at
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?CharonProposal
by sam, several months ago.

they are ready to dot the eyes and cross the teas; they are
assembling the clas, will be executing the software grant
as soon as i get it to them, they have a community of developers,
they have a sponsoring asf project (web services) which is
eager for it, and they have a mentor to help them through the
process (sam ruby).  Davinum Srinivas <di...@apache.org> from
the web services project (cc'd) should be able to answer any
questions from that end.

the codebase is dependent upon another which is *not* yet open,
but which will be licensed appropriately and which is intended
to follow the first one as a donation.  for internal ibm reasons
to which i'm not privy, this must be a rear-drive cart.  however,
since the horse will have safe licensing, i don't anticipate a
problem.

also, for whatever reason, they would like to get this moving as
fast as possible.  since it appears to meet all of our (albeit
somewhat vague) criteria for incubation eligibility, i think this
is a no-brainer and we should pretty much just say 'yes.'

please reply asap if you have objections; if i don't see any by
monday, i'll assume a lazy consensus and get the ball rolling.
also speak up if you object to my doing so. :-)
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: request to accept new project: wsrp4j

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 05:52:17AM -0700, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> #1 - "-1 on the apparent process on how this "arrived"". Where EXACTLY is this process
> documented???????? ("how/when should someone send a note to incubator about a project to get the
> ball rolling")

I was referring to the fact that it arrived with a note saying the WS PMC
had accepted the project, when they hadn't even heard of the thing.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: request to accept new project: wsrp4j:K@N@!:

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 11:55:13AM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> > I'm also a -1 on the apparent process on how this "arrived" at the
> > Incubator.
>
> miscommunication, is all.  i assumed from what i was told that
> everything was done and the actual incubation inception was become
> the bottleneck.  sam and davinum can respond, and i'll ask richard
> jacob (from the wsrp4j team) to join the list here.
>
> i don't know about anyone else, but *i'm* certainly trying to have
> this be as open as possible, and move as swiftly as possible.  the
> former is more important than the latter, though.

Excellent! Thanks, Ken. Yes, I figured there was miscommunication somewhere,
but for it to miss *two* PMC discussions was a bit more than I could
swallow... :-)

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like we'll hear back from the WS PMC
shortly, so we're all cool.

Cheers,
-g

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Status update:
- Started the VOTE on WS-PMC. Will report back the results.
- There's Portlet API jar (named pluto.jar) that is required by both Charon and Jetspeed-2. The
Jetspeed-2 folks are working on it
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jetspeed-dev&m=105949774325419&w=2).

Questions:
- Is availability of pluto.jar file a Show Stopper for Charon?
- If it is a show-stopper, how come it is ok for jetspeed-2 to have this dependency?
- What else is required before Charon can be accepted for incubation?

Thanks,
dims

=====

Re: request to accept new project: wsrp4j

Posted by Richard Jacob <ri...@de.ibm.com>.
Ted Leung wrote:
> What is the exact licensing of pluto.jar?
It's not a *single* pluto.jar. The JARs pluto
generates are the portlet API JAR and the
reference impl. container JARs.
We are currently working on the licence.
In general we want to provide it royalty-free,
as-is, redistributable, etc. Since the JSR168 is
still in the public review we need to charectarize
the JARs as being non-final technology, for
evaluation only.
The code for these JARs will be open sourced anyway
some weeks later.

Richard.

Re: request to accept new project: wsrp4j

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
On 8/1/2003 10:09 AM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

>Status update:
>- Started the VOTE on WS-PMC. Will report back the results.
>- There's Portlet API jar (named pluto.jar) that is required by both Charon and Jetspeed-2. The
>Jetspeed-2 folks are working on it
>(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jetspeed-dev&m=105949774325419&w=2).
>
>Questions:
>- Is availability of pluto.jar file a Show Stopper for Charon?

What is the exact licensing of pluto.jar?

>- If it is a show-stopper, how come it is ok for jetspeed-2 to have this dependency?

It's not clear to me that it is ok for jetspeed-2 to have this
dependency.  You'll recall that we had to go back through and remove non
ASL compliant jars from CVS.  It seems that this one was missed.

Ted

Re: request to accept new project: wsrp4j

Posted by Richard Jacob <ri...@de.ibm.com>.
Steven Noels wrote:
> Out of curiosity: what's the specific problem with pluto.jar? Who is
> still discussing stuff with lawyers (IIUC)?

That's me. The problem is that wsrp4j usese pluto *JARs*
which contain the portlet API classes and the JSR168 reference
impl. container. The code for these is not Open Source yet but will
be some weeks later anyway. For now we have to find a licence statement
that satisfies IBM, Apache and jcp.org.

Richard

Re: request to accept new project: wsrp4j

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 1/08/2003 19:09 Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> - There's Portlet API jar (named pluto.jar) that is required by both Charon and Jetspeed-2. The
> Jetspeed-2 folks are working on it
> (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jetspeed-dev&m=105949774325419&w=2).
>
> Questions:
> - Is availability of pluto.jar file a Show Stopper for Charon?
> - If it is a show-stopper, how come it is ok for jetspeed-2 to have this dependency?

Out of curiosity: what's the specific problem with pluto.jar? Who is
still discussing stuff with lawyers (IIUC)?

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: request to accept new project: wsrp4j:K@N@!:

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: request to accept new project: wsrp4j

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Status update:

=====

Re: request to accept new project: wsrp4j

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Greg Stein wrote:

> So how exactly was this projected "accepted"? I see zero discussion before
> Ken's post to general@incubator. That seems *very* inappropriate.

it hasn't been accepted, at least not by the incubator.  oh,
you mean the sponsoring project.  all i can say is what i was told
by sam, which i've already done.

> Fair enough, but Sam isn't the decision maker on whether something gets
> accepted, and not necessarily on where it goes. Especially when there has
> been zero discussion.

greg, i'm on neither of those lists.  i took sam at his word.
and he is apparently offline for a few days and unable to respond.
he told me davinum ex officio web services was ready for it to
come to ws; not being on that list, i had to accept that, too --
but i also cc'd sam and davinum on the mail to clarify anything
i screwed up.

> I'm not too concerned about having the dependent code *at* the ASF, since we
> usually have dependencies on external things. However, I *do* think a
> necessary precondition is that it becomes available with an ASL-compatible
> license before the incubation is accepted.

it will be.  that's what i meant by 'safe licensing'.

> My binding vote is -1 until we see the dependency made available. After
> that, +1 assuming that the WS PMC votes to actually accept the thing
> post-incubation.

fair enough.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Greg Stein wrote:

> So how exactly was this projected "accepted"? I see zero discussion before
> Ken's post to general@incubator. That seems *very* inappropriate.

it hasn't been accepted, at least not by the incubator.  oh,
you mean the sponsoring project.  all i can say is what i was told
by sam, which i've already done.

> Fair enough, but Sam isn't the decision maker on whether something gets
> accepted, and not necessarily on where it goes. Especially when there has
> been zero discussion.

greg, i'm on neither of those lists.  i took sam at his word.
and he is apparently offline for a few days and unable to respond.
he told me davinum ex officio web services was ready for it to
come to ws; not being on that list, i had to accept that, too --
but i also cc'd sam and davinum on the mail to clarify anything
i screwed up.

> I'm not too concerned about having the dependent code *at* the ASF, since we
> usually have dependencies on external things. However, I *do* think a
> necessary precondition is that it becomes available with an ASL-compatible
> license before the incubation is accepted.

it will be.  that's what i meant by 'safe licensing'.

> My binding vote is -1 until we see the dependency made available. After
> that, +1 assuming that the WS PMC votes to actually accept the thing
> post-incubation.

fair enough.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
#1 - "-1 on the apparent process on how this "arrived"". Where EXACTLY is this process

#2 - I was a bit surprised that this note about Charon to incubator did not come from either me or
sam.

#3 - jetspeed-2 is where to pluto jar(s) will reside. See note from David Sean Taylor
("http://www.mail-archive.com/jetspeed-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg09175.html"). We already have an
Apache project dependent on it.

Thanks,
dims

=====

Re: request to accept new project: wsrp4j:K@N@!:

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> #2 - I was a bit surprised that this note about Charon to incubator did not
> come from either me or sam.

sam asked me.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: request to accept new project: wsrp4j:K@N@!:

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
#1 - "-1 on the apparent process on how this "arrived"". Where EXACTLY is this process

#2 - I was a bit surprised that this note about Charon to incubator did not come from either me or
sam.

#3 - jetspeed-2 is where to pluto jar(s) will reside. See note from David Sean Taylor

=====

Re: request to accept new project: wsrp4j

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Ted, Ken,
The dependent project was the JSR168 Impl which is Jetspeed2 (already in our CVS). There's no
other dependencies that i know of.

Ted,
Yes, we've not voted on it yet in the WS-PMC. I will start the VOTE and get the results back to
incubator folks.

Thanks,
dims

=====

Re: request to accept new project: wsrp4j

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> FYI, AFAIK Charon depends on JSR168 Impl - jetspeed2 (code
> checked in just a few days ago -
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-jetspeed-2/). So we should
> not have a problem.

I thought the JSR 168 Impl is the Pluto proposal
(http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?PlutoProposal)?

Has this plan changed?

Carsten

RE: request to accept new project: wsrp4j:K@N@!: