Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Dragan Ljubojevic <un...@ptt.yu> on 2002/11/05 14:11:47 UTC

robot search engines and struts

If I all jsp pages put in protected directory and all
url's ends with .do how web crawler like google can index my application?
What is good solution for this problem?

Dragan Ljubojevic

Re: robot search engines and struts

Posted by Mark Ayad <ma...@javamark.com>.
There goes your web-footprint

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Dragan Ljubojevic wrote:

> Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:11:47 +0100
> From: Dragan Ljubojevic <un...@ptt.yu>
> To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: robot search engines and struts
>
> If I all jsp pages put in protected directory and all
> url's ends with .do how web crawler like google can index my application?
> What is good solution for this problem?

The algorithms used by search engines do not match well with the design of
MVC-based application architectures.  the principal reason for this is
that any given URL submitted by a user (typically a ".do" URL) can trigger
the output of *any* page of your app, depending on which page your action
decides to forward to -- the fact that some particular text was returned
once (when the crawler grabbed it) is not a reproducible event.

Further, any search engine crawler is automatically going to skip
protected URLs, no matter what app architecture you used.

Bottom line -- search engines are for web *sites*, not web *apps*.  I'd
recommend you use a robots.txt file on your server to tell crawlers to
skip everything in your app (except possible the welcome page if you want
that to be indexed).

> Dragan Ljubojevic

Craig McClanahan

Re: robot search engines and struts

Posted by Mike Way <mi...@sharedskills.com>.
Dragan

One solution is to change the web.xml mapping for the action servlet from

   <servlet-mapping>
     <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
     <url-pattern>*.do</url-pattern>
   </servlet-mapping>

   <servlet-mapping>
     <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
     <url-pattern>*.html</url-pattern>
   </servlet-mapping>

The all your pages look like .html. Can cause problems if you have "real
.html" files in your application, :-)

Mike

At 14:11 05/11/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>If I all jsp pages put in protected directory and all
>url's ends with .do how web crawler like google can index my application?
>What is good solution for this problem?
>

>Dragan Ljubojevic
>

>--

Mike Way,
Senior Consultant, Shared Skills Ltd
+44 (0)1752 491088, mobile +44 (0) 7941 225581
email: mike.way@sharedskills.com web: www.sharedskills.com

initiate an object and put it in session

Posted by Mr Alireza Fattahi <af...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

I want to initiate put an object and put it in the
session when each session begins.

Where should i put this code?

I tried to write a sevlet that starts at the starup of
the system, but I do not have access to session object
in its 'init' method.

Thanks