Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com> on 2006/06/02 15:24:14 UTC

Re: diagnosing "Internal Server" errors on commit

On May 31, 2006, at 19:30, Rick Jones wrote:

>>> tardy:/var/log/apache2# ls -ld /svn/briefs/db/transactions
>>> drwxr-sr-x  2 raj raj 4096 2006-05-16 16:17 /svn/briefs/db/
>>> transactions
>>>
>>> I would have expected that after authentication the web server
>>> would be uid raj?  In any event I've not explictly been messing
>>> about with ownership or permissions.
>> Unless you've installed something special to do that, the usual
>> behavior would be that the user under which Apache runs needs to
>> have  read/write permission to the repository.
>
> I'm thinking that what may have changed is that the repository was
> initially created "directly" via file:  and now I was trying to
> access via http, hence the ownership/permissions mixup.
>
> Any idea if the error message returned gets "better" in 1.3?

The repository must be read/write accessible by the user trying to
make changes. For example, if you're accessing over the file:// or svn
+ssh:// protocols, then the repository must be readable/writable by
your system user. If you're accessing over svn:// protocol, then it
must be readable/writable by the user under which you've started the
svnserve daemon. If you're accessing over http:// or https://, then
it must be readable/writable by the user under which Apache runs.

I don't know if the error message has been improved in Subversion
1.3.x. Obtuse/confusing error messages are still one of Subversion's
rough edges...